Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

Had a check to see who accepted the "solution"  guess who ?         

"PayPal_Rajesh" a moderator!

Login to Me Too

Jake103
Contributor
Contributor

Its a principle, a phone is not a form of identity, its a contact method.

It is prone to being stolen, lost, misused, reassigned, changed and is a victim of no signal.

There are a plethora of other more secure means of verifying identity. I for one use a YubiKey and my laptop also have a fingerprint reader and my surface pro has windows hello. Various companies i use also accept 1 of these forms of 2fa, including banks, skrill, gumtree, payee, governments, stripe. Yet paypal wants only a mobile number.

Login to Me Too

Jho1
Contributor
Contributor

The ARROGANCE of the representative of Paypal here to people who DO NOT WANT OR NEED A MOBILE PHONE (including me) is astonishing!! 

Login to Me Too

John_Hall99
Contributor
Contributor

"Paypal login wouldn't let me get past the "add mobile number" screen.  So I added my regular phone"

How did you manage that? When I try to enter my regular phone number on that screen, it objects that it's not a mobile number. The annoying thing is that my BT landline automatically converts a text message to voice, so if only Paypal would allow me to enter my landline number (or take it from my profile information, where it already can be found) I'd be fine.

Login to Me Too

Destiny68
Contributor
Contributor

That happened to me I  thought oh forget it, and I put in my land line, got a call from BT which cost me money to answer the text message and then I couldn't understand what she was saying. So I hung up and they phoned me again and again. I told Paypal to email or physically write to me, having a mobile phone proves nothing monkeys have mobile phones. Honestly this company has gone to the dogs. They said its EU legislation well wake up I live in England no long part of the EU write another law. Any way my account has now been frozen because I refuse to comply. I wonder if we all leave pay pal how long the company would survive without us!

Login to Me Too

Jho1
Contributor
Contributor

I do this VERY rarely, all I want to do is send money to a friend. She lives abroad but says she has a UK Paypal account. I need to know of any alternatives to sending money to her, which I suppose now will mean bank transfer, where there's no techno-fascistic insistence I MUST have a mobile phone to do so?

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I joined just to add my twopence worth.  

Agree with bulk of postings. I work in IT & have a work mobile, which stays in work when I finish. I do not wish to be walking around with a mobile (Live and love life with physical friends and real memories not via tech).  

This kind of forceful "do as we say or you can't use the facility that you have come reliant on" is the slow plod to full enforcement of tracking and compliance, controlled by a very small handful of global companies.  Of course that's "tin hat" stuff right.

It's easy to sort the problem:

Delete Paypal

Use your normal debit card/credit card on a website.  You are covered for fraud anyway. 

Need to transfer cash? Use online/telephone banking.

Peace & happiness everybody.

Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

After reading this and some of the other threads on the subject, all with the only advice being "Buy a cheap mobile" I checked the (UK) Financial Conduct Authority's guidance on the subject.  As Paypal sees itself as being subject to the PDS2 regulations and the provisions of SCA under them I wonder why it sees itself as exempt from the guidance on how they are to be implemented.

The FCA document "Strong Customer Authentification"  first published 2/9/19 and updated as recently as 18/6/20 says:

"We expect firms to develop SCA solutions that work for all groups of consumers......  This includes methods that do not rely on mobile phones."

And.

"If this is not the case we (the FCA) expect them to discuss with us as priority." 

And 

"Specifically, we (FCA) expect:  

Firms not to act outside the agreed industry delivery plan in ways that cause unnecessary problems for consumers or merchants."

The dead-line for implementation has been extended, due to Corvid 19, to 14/9/21.

I repeat my original question:  When paypal denies me access to my account, how will it return my balance to me?

To which I add the following:  Why is Paypal not following the above guidance (like every other firm implementing SCA)?

When the dead-line has been extended, why is paypal already denying consumers access to their accounts and causing them all sorts of problems?

Are they actually in discussions with the FCA as they are not following the guidance?  Or is paypal trying to quietly weed-out "difficult" customers so it can follow its chosen option of only offering mobile phone access?

Login to Me Too

bigtidyup
Contributor
Contributor

I only have an old paygo non smart phone that lives in my car for breakdowns/emergencies. I dont use a smart phone, I live my life, not spend it playing on a phone getting voluntary cancer.

Recently EVERY time I log in I have to go out to my car and get it just to get a stupid text to access my account. I thought that the new ebay managed payment system coming in was a bad thing, but I am now happy to ditch using paypal after decades because of this ridiculous new account access problem. I think paypal are making a big financial error. When we are not FORCED to use paypal like ebay made us against our will, we will NOT choose to use paypal. Interestingly you are not forced through the stupid process when you want to PAY using paypal.. well that will be stopping soon.

Login to Me Too

cojogo
Contributor
Contributor

Who the heck thinks this is a solution to solve the problem saying SOLVED!! As posted top of page!!

Quote..

Don’t have a mobile phone

“SOLVED

Go to solution

Related articles in the PayPal Help Center

We found some related articles in our Help Center that might help you. Check them out!

• What is PayPal.Me?
  • How do I send money?
  • Money Pools Overview and Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is the PayPal Developer Portal?
  • PayPal’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic & FAQs  “

No way shape or form are any of those links solving the mobile only problem for those of us that don’t own/use one.. as many have said, banks, gas, electric and many other company’s we deal with give you other OPTIONS!! Ie: Email & landline, why should we buy a mobile just for PayPal???? I like just about everyone with internet in UK have Phone with internet account why pay for something else when landline is paid for within internet account why pay twice.. Would you buy two tyres for your car when you only need one!! I as part disabled person do all my online buying, selling & family communication etc etc for my computers, which in front of most of day.. Who needs more expense of mobile phone, when never got use for one.. OH!! Other than a company called PayPal that is demanding you MUST! have one.. My home phone has been on record with PP for the last 10yrs for contact with no problems. So why we got to be FORCED to go to mobile..  GIVE us other choices just like every other business.. IT even says within the authentication window if having trouble with it to choose another option…. So where the hell is that option!  It just sends you back to the start asking again for mobile number!  THAT IS NOT A CHOICE!  That is bullying!! Maybe that’s how or even acceptable in U.S. but sure is not here in U.K Give us OTHER choices, it is losing you members/users/customers however you want to call us. But one thing we are not is sheep just for you to bully….This has cost me money not being able to get past that stupid mobile notification window..  If you want us to have a mobile just to use PP then buy us all one and top it up monthly as well, then we might stay using PP…

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.