Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jay353 

As a lot of companies regularly text me codes when paying or confirming my i.d. then personally not sure how you cope without them.

Even my bank texts a code for me to access my online bank account occasionally.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jay353
Contributor
Contributor

Email on the computer...

A phone is a phone - I talk on it..............

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jay353 

Gosh very old fashioned and limiting.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

I use paypal on two e-commerce sites.  I'm not about to buy a mobile phone just for logging into paypal, especially as my bank can send verification codes via land-line or e-mail. 

If paypal intends to block access to my account at some point what does paypal intend to do with my account balance.  With no access to the site I won't be able to transfer the balance to my bank or close my account.

Login to Me Too

jmilby
Contributor
Contributor

Have you found a way to access your online account without a cell phone yet?  I have the same problem.

Login to Me Too

Courteney
Contributor
Contributor

This is ridiculous. Just about everyone in the world, Developed nations or not, Uses PayPal in some form or another for their business needs or to pass money to family or friends in need but not everyone has a phone, Let alone a mobile so this strikes me as highly unfair. There are more methods to have two or more step authentication besides being tethered to a device not everyone wants, Needs or has. For instance an app, An alternate email, Photo id on record etc.

Login to Me Too

Welshfarmer
Contributor
Contributor
Here in Wales where I live and work the problem is that the closest mobile phone reception is 6 miles away. I have only ever needed PayPal on my home PC, so even though I own a mobile there is no way to get a text to it in any scenario where I would be using PP.
Login to Me Too

Twchf
New Community Member

Very similar situation for me... mobile phones don’t work here... so it really isn’t practical to have to go for a drive to find a signal where it is hopefully strong enough to get a message and then get back... there must be  another way to work around this. Other companies have found alternative solutions and still comply with the law.

Login to Me Too

HelperFixer
Contributor
Contributor

STEP 1: Login as usual to your paypal account until you get to the mobile verification screen.

STEP 2: Scroll down to bottom of screen until you see on the lower left or lower right

where it says in small letters " privacy ". Click on it. A seperate window in your browser should open(mozilla).

STEP 3: Click on the tiny paypal symbol located in the middle upper screen.Another screen will appear.

STEP 4: Just click on "My Paypal" on the upper right of your screen. Have FUN !

####write the above steps down on a piece of paper in case you forget later#### 🙂

Login to Me Too

HelpMePleeeez
Contributor
Contributor

Doesn't work.  😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.