Permanently block auto-login

tmh462
Contributor
Contributor

I've had Paypal for decades now, and have always logged in to my account the old-fashioned way, with my email and password.

Over the course of the last year or so, it seems Paypal has decided to "help" me by enabling automatic login. Periodically, I will get an email from Paypal telling me they are going to remember my trusted device so I no longer have to log in every visit. I do NOT want this supposed feature, and have repeatedly turned it off, even going so far as to calling Paypal and asking them to permanently turn off auto login. I am using Firefox web browser, whatever version the latest one is.

Even with my continually following the links in the emails sent, and clicking "turn off auto login", it keeps re-enabling it.

Other than closing my account, and never using Paypal again, which is kind of extreme, does anybody have any other suggestions?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

GianTasunka
New Community Member

The easiest thing to do is completely clear your history after each session so that PayPal is holding autologin credentials for a web browser whose cookies no longer exist. Or you can log into PayPal each and every time and disable it in Settings-->Security-->Auto login-->Update. If you don't clear your history, that setting might persist. Or you can check your email for the "turn off the Trusted Device status" link which is an excellent opportunity for phishing from anyone who knows you use PayPal.

The third option is to wait for this asinine feature to eventually go away after whatever litigation or class action lawsuit eventually disabuses them of the notion that leaving access open to your account was a good idea. It basically boils down to we will only offer you account security if you let your cookies persist for all time so we can monetize tracking you. Otherwise we will leave your account wide open for abuse.

Even accidental abuse is possible. I share a computer with my spouse. We both have different PayPal accounts but use the same Windows local account. It would be easy to accidentally purchase something using the wrong account.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10
Solved

GianTasunka
New Community Member

The easiest thing to do is completely clear your history after each session so that PayPal is holding autologin credentials for a web browser whose cookies no longer exist. Or you can log into PayPal each and every time and disable it in Settings-->Security-->Auto login-->Update. If you don't clear your history, that setting might persist. Or you can check your email for the "turn off the Trusted Device status" link which is an excellent opportunity for phishing from anyone who knows you use PayPal.

The third option is to wait for this asinine feature to eventually go away after whatever litigation or class action lawsuit eventually disabuses them of the notion that leaving access open to your account was a good idea. It basically boils down to we will only offer you account security if you let your cookies persist for all time so we can monetize tracking you. Otherwise we will leave your account wide open for abuse.

Even accidental abuse is possible. I share a computer with my spouse. We both have different PayPal accounts but use the same Windows local account. It would be easy to accidentally purchase something using the wrong account.

Login to Me Too

RoannB
Contributor
Contributor

I am sick and tired of this too!  I have contacted Paypal more than once recently about this!  They don't seem to care that this is a real security risk!  I spoke with my credit card bank today and they suggested I complained to Consumer Affairs!  We should not have to take extra steps with our browsers to stop Paypal enabling automatic  log in!!!  I have had to turn this off several times in the last seven days for my pc and my phone!! It is so wrong!

Login to Me Too

Temp20221026A
New Community Member
Couldn't agree more! It's so wrong...
Login to Me Too

AllAboutMe
New Community Member

I totally agree. I hate this. 

Then again coming from a corp that just lost their CEO (as per internet news) over an alleged "inclusive" (meaning perceived remarks) fine in their agreement fine print of up to $2500.00 to any PayPal user without their knowledge is kind of suspect as to their real motives. 

Login to Me Too

cham46

Thanks for the info, I should be ok then, I use Firefox and it is set to clear cookies whenever I close it. So I don't have to keep on following their email link to turn off 'Trusted Device' I will test that next time I use Paypal

Login to Me Too

Temp20221026A
New Community Member
Tried it, this still DOES NOT permanently disable auto login. People shouldn't have to keep going through all this poop. Once disabled on the PayPal app, it should remain disabled until one re-enables it.
Login to Me Too

slongmire
New Community Member

Even clearing cookies - or blocking them in the first place does not always prevent this GROSS SECURITY LOOPHOLE. All the "tech support" telling me how to turn this off is pure scripted LIES. NONE of it works. Trust level for this long time customer is fading fast - Maybe I need to buy enough stock to go to a stockholders meeting and raise this issue!  And yet THEY use captcha to be sur I AM NOT A ROBOT! RICH!!!

Login to Me Too

fhj52
Contributor
Contributor

The easiest thing to do is completely clear your history after each session so that PayPal is holding autologin credentials for a web browser whose cookies no longer exist.

The same thing is accomplished by _always_ using 'private window' for all transactions and whenever one needs to login to PP directly.

Unfortunately THAT is more difficult than it sounds. Most websites I use can handle the 'private' window but not all.

If a transaction requires normal window one is **bleep**. That's how they get me. ...and they are good at it. 

Login to Me Too

Temp20221026A
New Community Member
Same problem here, been using PayPal for eons and as.others have said, I either login with username/password or have PayPal send me an sms security code. But then the 'trusted device' and auto login thing appeared & it seems it cannot be permanently disabled. If you disable auto login, it re-enables as soon as you use PayPal again. This is a security issue in my opinion, even the kids could purchase items using my PayPal. Have contacted PayPal & they told me it was a known issue with no permanent fix as yet. Well, not good enough and I am no longer comfortable using PayPal. Not happy at all. 🤬
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.