PayPal credit team refuses to fix a problem with my account

emtu74
Contributor
Contributor

In July there was a problem where a refund to a purchase in my PayPal credit account went to the wrong transaction. As a result, a transaction I am supposed to have until february to pay off now effectively has until January since the transaction that was supposed to be refunded still has a full balance in my list of special financing purchases. PayPal credit team said they'd fix this within 2 billing cycles and it didn't happen, then I asked again and it didn't happen again. Support continues to go through the motions of just trying to send another request to fix the balance.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do here. Do I have a legal path here?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

emtu74
Contributor
Contributor

A few days after filing the BBB complaint, posting here and talking with a supervisor again, PayPal Credit (Synchrony Bank) finally fixed the balance problem. As a result I will take no further action and will not be closing my account. However, I'm still wary of this type of thing happening for other customers and I'm not at all happy with how long it took and that communication with the relevant internal PayPal Credit team was never possible or made. I still want to hear from that team via e-mail about what happened, why it happened, and how they are going to prevent it from happening to other customers.

The supervisor told me my original requests to have the balance problem fixed were denied. The main problem with this is not just that the requests were denied, but that there was no way for PayPal credit customer service supervisors to communicate with the team that manages account balance issues. The lady told me she had no way of talking to them other than filing a complaint. Important customer problems can go completely ignored with no direct communication with the relevant team. This reminds me of the product review team at amazon; if a review is wrongly taken down you have a near-zero chance of meaningful communication with that team. I hate situations like this where certain offices are brick-walled to customer or even manager communication. It leads to bad feelings, wasted customer service time and regulatory complaints. This brick-walling practice needs to stop.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Anitacluve
Contributor
Contributor
I'm beginning to feel very scared for my finances and the several people I've talked to have gotten reamed by PayPal with no kind of help back just a bunch of run around
Login to Me Too

Anitacluve
Contributor
Contributor
Sounds like all you have is to get legal help this site is no help at all it's scary and very stressful
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Craig

Hi @emtu74

Welcome to the Community! 

When a refund is credited, we must allocate the payment. The first thing your payments are allocated to is the minimum payment.

Anything over your minimum payment is then allocated to the purchases with the highest interest rate. 

It is not until all interest-incurring purchases are clear that your payments are allocated to interest-free purchases.

Unfortunately, the payments cannot be manually allocated to a specific purchase.

This is put in place to ensure you are paying the least amount of interest possible. 

PayPal_Craig 

Login to Me Too

emtu74
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think you understand and this is a big part of the problem why supervisors haven't helped me:

The refund from newegg was allocated to a transaction that would have had more time to be paid off. This means they did the opposite of what you said; they allocated in a way that would charge me more interest. But that shouldn't be the focal point here, the point is that the refund from newegg was allocated to my ebay purchase that was supposed to have 6 months to be paid off. Because it went to the ebay purchase instead, the newegg balance was still in full which meant I now had only 5 months effectively to pay off the balance for the ebay purchase.

You can see this results in me getting charged interest earlier than I rightfully should. Nothing PayPal credit did made sense, not even in terms of what you're saying. 

If you can't get a manager from the team that handles account balances to fix this and directly e-mail me I'm filing all the necessary BBB, regulatory complaints and if interest is improperly charged taking legal action, and obviously closing my PayPal account.

Login to Me Too
Solved

emtu74
Contributor
Contributor

A few days after filing the BBB complaint, posting here and talking with a supervisor again, PayPal Credit (Synchrony Bank) finally fixed the balance problem. As a result I will take no further action and will not be closing my account. However, I'm still wary of this type of thing happening for other customers and I'm not at all happy with how long it took and that communication with the relevant internal PayPal Credit team was never possible or made. I still want to hear from that team via e-mail about what happened, why it happened, and how they are going to prevent it from happening to other customers.

The supervisor told me my original requests to have the balance problem fixed were denied. The main problem with this is not just that the requests were denied, but that there was no way for PayPal credit customer service supervisors to communicate with the team that manages account balance issues. The lady told me she had no way of talking to them other than filing a complaint. Important customer problems can go completely ignored with no direct communication with the relevant team. This reminds me of the product review team at amazon; if a review is wrongly taken down you have a near-zero chance of meaningful communication with that team. I hate situations like this where certain offices are brick-walled to customer or even manager communication. It leads to bad feelings, wasted customer service time and regulatory complaints. This brick-walling practice needs to stop.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.