PayPal asking for phone number and I live between countries!

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

PayPal is now asking for a mobile number to send a verification code via SMS to me due to EU's new safer standard for online transactions.

Problem is, my account is in Spain and my bank, it's where I pay taxes and live some of the time.

I also live part of the time in Brazil. Also, my job requires me to travel and spend a couple of months here, a couple there, etc.

In ALL these instances (even in Spain or Brazil), I use prepaid SIM, NOT permanent numbers...Which is to say, when I'm not in Spain I wouldn't be able to receive ANY code from PayPal to access my account. And I can't change the phone number every time I travel or in fact EVER.

PayPal assumes I have a Spanish number and already fills out the code at the beginning.

I won't have a phone account in Spain or Brazil -- and I don't have financial activity in Brazil, anyway -- because it's a ridiculous expense when I travel all the time!

These systems are thought out for people who stay put and I'm a journalist and I move around. BUT I get paid for a lot of articles and writing through PayPal and I must be able to access my account at any time and make bank transfers, etc.

This is total hell. I guess I'll be the only one with this problem, as people normally just "roam" since they don't stay abroad for long periods of time. ANYONE HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND FOUND A SOLUTION?

Despite the money I give PayPal all the time in commissions, it's of course well nigh impossible to contact them ...

Thanks 

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

😂True, you have way more condecorations than me! I can't think what will happen when I send this one, though. I think I'll get the Purple Heart of Hitting Send. Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too

PeteB1
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot see the solution, Paypal wants to send me a code to my phone but I do not know what country code they are using, I recently immigrated and my number changed.

Where will i find the solution to this question

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PeteB1 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

You can however add a U.S bank account (not card) to 'most' other countries paypal accounts. This is because paypal is a U.S company and so allows this.
You are also allowed x2 paypal accounts BUT x1 has to be personal and the other x1 has to be business.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PeteB1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice, I have already emigrated and linked my new banking details to Paypal, updated my address but just cannot sort out my phone number. I will contact the Customer Support and see how best to resolve this

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.