PayPal asking for phone number and I live between countries!

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

PayPal is now asking for a mobile number to send a verification code via SMS to me due to EU's new safer standard for online transactions.

Problem is, my account is in Spain and my bank, it's where I pay taxes and live some of the time.

I also live part of the time in Brazil. Also, my job requires me to travel and spend a couple of months here, a couple there, etc.

In ALL these instances (even in Spain or Brazil), I use prepaid SIM, NOT permanent numbers...Which is to say, when I'm not in Spain I wouldn't be able to receive ANY code from PayPal to access my account. And I can't change the phone number every time I travel or in fact EVER.

PayPal assumes I have a Spanish number and already fills out the code at the beginning.

I won't have a phone account in Spain or Brazil -- and I don't have financial activity in Brazil, anyway -- because it's a ridiculous expense when I travel all the time!

These systems are thought out for people who stay put and I'm a journalist and I move around. BUT I get paid for a lot of articles and writing through PayPal and I must be able to access my account at any time and make bank transfers, etc.

This is total hell. I guess I'll be the only one with this problem, as people normally just "roam" since they don't stay abroad for long periods of time. ANYONE HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND FOUND A SOLUTION?

Despite the money I give PayPal all the time in commissions, it's of course well nigh impossible to contact them ...

Thanks 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

I don't like it when people are rude to those giving advice, and I didn't mean to be. I had the impression you worked for PayPal, as it's the first time I'm posting here and I don't know how it works. Unfortunately, they make themselves scarce and the only time I got answers was when a friend was an executive in the company...

So I'm sorry if I sounded like that -- but I obviously need to deal with PayPal and not with the community. You're giving me the answer you have, and I thank you. But it's not specific to a problem I have. Maybe this problem has no solution and PayPal isn't capable of dealing with a customer who travels a lot.

I wish I could remove the question, but don't even know how to do that. If you know and you have another moment, I'd be very grateful if you could advise me. In any case, thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CBBMF 

Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but I already know that. It isn't really my question. I know it's a bit long to read, but maybe someone with same problem or similar will have a solution.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CBBMF 

Well i did read it and there is no solution.

You are not supposed to use a paypal account in another country and if you do then paypal will want verification thats it you with a confirmation text to your paypal registered accounts phone (for that country).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

Then PayPal is a provincial company which doesn't accept that people should travel or spend time abroad. My account and bank and fiscal info are all in Spain and all legal, so I can only have an account in Spain. I'm a RESIDENT of Spain, but I spend time abroad, often months. Not enough in any other place to be a resident anywhere else, but enough to need to access my account from other places.

I'm sure there are other people who also do this. I know loads. 

My bank allows me to change my phone number to wherever I am, PayPal doesn't. It's implementing a normative while not offering solutions to its customers, then.

Which means that instead of asking this question and hitting a wall, I should look for another provider.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CBBMF 

Your right in that paypal is not a bank but a payment processor and is 'country specific'.

Accounts have to be country specific as they can only allow services that the banks / governments of that country allow them to offer.

That is why some countries can't add bank accounts / some can't receive payments / some can't withdraw funds etc etc etc .

As i said paypal is not a bank so if you are travelling internationally another option may be better for you.

I can only tell you what paypal offers and how it works, so.............your welcome, so glad you were grateful to me for giving up my time to respond to your post with advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

I don't like it when people are rude to those giving advice, and I didn't mean to be. I had the impression you worked for PayPal, as it's the first time I'm posting here and I don't know how it works. Unfortunately, they make themselves scarce and the only time I got answers was when a friend was an executive in the company...

So I'm sorry if I sounded like that -- but I obviously need to deal with PayPal and not with the community. You're giving me the answer you have, and I thank you. But it's not specific to a problem I have. Maybe this problem has no solution and PayPal isn't capable of dealing with a customer who travels a lot.

I wish I could remove the question, but don't even know how to do that. If you know and you have another moment, I'd be very grateful if you could advise me. In any case, thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CBBMF 

No one here works for paypal apart from the moderators that have paypal by their name.

I am a 'user' of this forum the same as you are, we just get the rank dependent on how much help we give.

You may want to talk to paypal direct and of course that is one of the options available but my advice such as it was, is correct.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CBBMF
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. That's a good idea, I'll try Facebook. Is there any way, if you have a moment, that I can remove this question? I keep getting "badges" now, it's ridiculous. I just wanted to ask a question and now they're sending me rockets and tigers and badges...Otherwise, thanks in any case for your time.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CBBMF 

Sadly you can't remove a question.

And you are stuck with the badges, ridiculous I know, I felt like i was back at school when they decided it was a good idea to start issueing them on here.  🙄You think you have problems with your x1.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4492839

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.