No mobile phone number. What do I do?

tamale0
New Community Member

Paypal is now forcing me to add a mobile phone number.  I've been using google voice for years, and I don't have a true mobile phone number.  What are my options?  I've become pretty reiliant on paypal, for eBay shopping, banking, and sending money to friends.

I am a U.S. citizen and resident, but I spend most of my time abroad working for the U.S. Government.  I don't want to have to get a U.S. phone plan that sits idle 11 months of the year.  I think I'd rather close my paypal account, if that's my only option to maintain it.

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

swabian
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have mobile phone as I consider it attack on my privacy. I am available trough my land lines - at work and at home, or trough my e-mail. That means - if I am off, I am off! I do not want to be disturbed! Even my wife has no mobile phone and we live happily without one! We sure have a drawer filled with unused machines we bought only to use them if someone was in hospital or while traveling - but we do not have active number!

I do not think that money transfer should be connected to my personal preferences!

Login to Me Too

its_still_me
Contributor
Contributor

when you are on that page asking for the mobile number, click the contact us link at the bottom.

select whatever is like "password, account access"  and then having troubles logging in.

somewhere along the line, you'll get a recommendation to call them.  Do that. The message after they answer says they are really, really, really busy so you may have to wait until next tuesday, but I was helped after only about 30 seconds.

After I told the guy I had no cell/mobile, he slipped a switch that made the "Call me with..." link actually just show me 4 numbers, then they called my landline and asked for those numbers.

Whole thing done in 10 minutes or so.

Login to Me Too

wibbley23
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal is datamining.

They are duping people into believing they have no option except to give that information to them to access their account.

If you have contact us on the 'Enter your confirmation code'  page which comes up after you log in - it should be at the bottom of that page - clicking this takes you into your account where you can then access your account 'normally'.

This in my opinion is sneaky! How many people will fill that data in unknowingly / How many will this effect who do not own these devices / How many will this effect who do not wish to share that data. The implications of this on a wider level is to get people to believe this is something 'normal' & we have to 'comply'. Oh dear.

Paypal - treating your customers like this is not the smartest idea.

Login to Me Too

wibbley23
Contributor
Contributor

As an add-on to what has been happening in regards to paypal datamining for mobile phone numbers.

I had some dealings through Ebay with a company based in India whilst I am based in another country- when I received an invoice from them I noticed that my phone number was on the invoice. This means Paypal gives that information to ANYONE who you do 'business' with, regardless if you wish to keep that information personal or not.

Paypal, why not give your customer that option whether they wish to disclose this information or not?

This is wrong in so many ways. India currently has a problem with 'scam' call-centres who prey on duping innocent people out of their money, these people believing they are talking to a call centre which could, for example, help them fix their computer. In respects to this, Would you want your private information to be given away in this way? All it takes is for your number to be given to these scammers & you are making yourself vunerable to being scammed.

Paypal you seriously need to sort out your data protection - You cannot sneekily coerce that information out of your customers & at the same time just give that information away freely to those who potentially could use that information in an unscrupulous way.

Login to Me Too

Dorothy21
Contributor
Contributor

That's exactly my concern!   They are not entitled to my cell number and I resent their demanding it!

Login to Me Too

classactions

this is new.   i used to bypass this by selecting "remind me later"

Login to Me Too

classactions

you're right

i will now pay by snailmail

Login to Me Too

livid
Contributor
Contributor

No.  This does not work.  There is no "contact us" option.  

Only a command to give them your cell phone number.  

At the very bottom of the page is an option to allow

Paypal to use cookies.  That's it.

Login to Me Too

I see no way to get passed this screen.  so horrible to force this on customers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.