No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gfml 

Well i have no phone signal here but use wifi phoning instead.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

kernowlass: 

I'm glad that works for you, but it doesn't work for me when I'm at my country home on the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario where the internet service is barely adequate and there is no cell phone service or wifi. I'm certainly not going to buy a cell phone to use for the PayPal service when I couldn't even use it for months at a time. 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I do not have a mobile phone.

Login to Me Too

Alycidon
Contributor
Contributor

I did come across an interesting issue this week. I rang PayPal from my landline and they wanted to text me a code. However, the only number I have recorded on the system is my landline. Now that's not normally a problem as the code still comes through on the landline in spoken form.

However, it can't come through while I'm using the phone.

Login to Me Too

Aurymn
Contributor
Contributor

Guess I will just use up the cash in my paypal account since I have no mobile phone and figure out some other method of online purchasing. Since this problem has not been addressed and paypal refuses to come up with a viable solution for those of us without mobiles. Just have to take business elsewhere.
Still though, if banks can use a landline to confirm an account, why can't paypal?

Login to Me Too

orgasmictomato
Contributor
Contributor

@Aurymn 

Apparently they can as yesterday I actually had a "security check" that has not occurred for months and months now... to pay for my item on ebay.... I was given a 4 digit code number (on screen ) and then a bot rang me on my landline number and even though I had to get my wife to answer it ( as I am deaf ) I inserted the numbers and was logged in to pay.....
Strange as for over 6 months I have had a secure log in from my "recognised location".... previous to this....

Don't know what I would have done if my wife was out, though....

Obviously just not used Paypal to pay.

Jim

Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

orgasmictomato: 

When PayPal started accepting only "mobile" phone numbers in their security measures a while ago in Canada I suggested to their nice customer support people in the Phillipines that they could accept landline phone numbers if they were willing to use a "bot" to call the person and give them the 4-digit verification code number. I was told that PayPal wasn't willing to do that! Why does PayPal have different rules for different customers, or were the nice customer service people in the Phillipines just making this up? 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

Aurymn: 

Yes, the banks I deal with in Canada use my landline to confirm all kinds of things with me all the time. Is PayPal trying to tell us that the banks' security measures aren't good enough for them? How ridiculous! 

gfml  

Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

Alycidon: 

I can't even record my landline phone number on the Paypal security system as it rejects my landline phone number and tells me that only a "mobile" phone number is acceptable! I have good reason to believe that after using PayPal  for more than 20 years they no longer want me as a customer. 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

E536
New Community Member

AGREED!  People lose their cell (mobile) phones often - so how is that more secure than a landline which stays in your home and not used or seen by strangers?  Such a requirement is, in my opinion, discrimination against those who either do not want a mobile phone or can not afford one.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.