No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

dolt1
Contributor
Contributor

Fourteen months later receiving verification code by automated call to landline is no longer an option.  Paypal customer service just told me, "Mobile phone is a must." 

Login to Me Too

orgasmictomato
Contributor
Contributor

I still DO NOT HAVE A MOBILE PHONE  and yes I am using paypal.... I am in Australia... there is a work around in purchases..

Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

dolt1: 

This kind of answer from PayPal is totally unacceptable! I guess what we need to do is ask our federal government to pass a law making illegal the requirement by any company that we have a "mobile" (cell) phone to do something. Only then will PayPal and other such companies forcing this outrageous requirement on us cease and desist! 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

K1tt3n-K0ng
Contributor
Contributor

Wow Alycidon. You Sir - or Madam - are a legend.

I've been trying to login to my PP account for a week and a half and tried every method I could find on Youtube to do so. The "Call you to confirm" link kept teasing me after logging in with email/PW. Greyed out so it couldn't be clicked while the page was processing; and once the page finished processing the link disappeared completely! Gave up again yesterday after a 4 or 5 hour stint of deleted cookies, incognito windows, dummy payments, donate-buttons, trying to slide over to my account by logging in here at the community forums, etc, etc.

Never tried just typing my Landline number where it asks for a Mobile number. Just never occurred to me to do that, because a landline isn't a mobile. As soon as I typed my landline number - there's the "Call you to confirm" link again. Click, get 4-digit PIN on screen, podge it onto my phone keypad and I'm into my account! Just a few seconds to do. Ha ha.

So thanks for that. Didn't think I'd ever see the inside of that account again.

Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

K1tt3n-K0ng: 

I'm glad that works for you, but it doesn't work for me. When I give PayPal my landline phone number when trying to log in they simply tell me that the number is not a "mobile" (cell) phone number and is therefore unacceptable. I'll tell you what is unacceptable; it's PayPal's idiotic and unnecessary security protocol requiring one to have a "mobile" phone to use their service! 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

iggyrock
Contributor
Contributor

It’s also a sad assumption many of these people think they know what a “country road” is, if they had every truly taken the time to hang up that mobile phone connected to there ear long enough to travel to the country, they would know country equals “no cell phone service”. I live less than a mile from a major interstate, less than 9 miles from a major metropolitan area and everywhere I drive in my area except for on the interstate has no cell service because of the trees. I wonder if these people are familiar with what trees are. If I can’t use a cell phone 80% of the time why would I waste money on one. I do however have internet. Tree’s don’t seem to effect that like they do cell towers for all of you that think you know the meaning of country.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@iggyrock 

Yep, I have no signal, not heard of wifi phoning?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

serenfach
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have heard of Wifi phoning.  Unfortunately you need at least 1meg of broadband.  Mine is around 0.6 - a bit faster than dial up.  I was quoted £67000 to instal fibre.  I am a mile off a main trunk road in West Wales. 

Oh, and the local phone mast has been down since the end of November, but I can get a signal if I drive 4 miles away.  A whole new meaning to mobile.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@serenfach 

Gosh and I thought Cornwall was bad  😪

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

kernowlass: 

Really? If there is no cell phone service in a location what makes you think there would be wifi service in that location? 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.