No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

europe99
Contributor
Contributor

I recently bought a new Mac, I could identify to Apple via my landline: a (robot) voice read me some numbers,

which I then used for verification.

Easy!

Why cannot Paypal manage the same easy authentication process as Apple!

Login to Me Too

serenfach
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.  There is no signal here, from any company.  I cannot even dial 999 on a mobile!   The VAT and tax people have an auto-respond and ring the land line with a code. Not a problem.  So why cannot Paypal do this?

I do have a mobile, and if I drive a couple of miles, I can get a signal.  Does Paypal expect me to hop in the car when I want to buy something?

Come on Paypal, you have the technology!

Login to Me Too

Alycidon
Contributor
Contributor

Berating someone for choosing not to have a mobile phone does not really address the issue. Whether you can't live without one is irrelevant to the conundrum; which is that as a matter of fact, not everyone has a mobile phone for whatever reason; and those that do may not keep them switched on 24/7.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alycidon 

Berating? Theres me thinking we were having an adult discussion and the pros and cons of having a phone and why its needed for paypal. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

tommyzulu
Contributor
Contributor

Like some of the others, I have no mobile signal where I live, so I cannot use paypal any more. I'm not belittling the usefulness of a mobile phone for those who have a decent signal... but in may rural areas (and some urban ones) mobile signals are poor and/or intermittent. Other organisations have managed to deal with new security arrangements in a rather more useful way.

Login to Me Too

Amigaman
Contributor
Contributor

I had my mobile phone stolen from my car, it was in the glove box when I took the wife to the cinema as they don't allow mobiles inside and because I don't 'live' on it I'm not in any hurry to replace it.  I find it incredibly difficult and slow to use it on the internet compared to my big box gaming pc and even my laptop, by slow I mean awkward in using a tiny on screen keyboard and no mouse and with a 5.5" screen although its classed as 'mobile' its hardly something you'd want in you pocket.

Why is it that these website redesigns always seem to be effected by a team who's life experience appears to be limited to a smartphone?

Login to Me Too

Alycidon
Contributor
Contributor

Today I was finally forced to add a mobile number. So I added my landline one and got a recorded message with the code number phoned back to me.

The only oddity was that the message was the number in full as in "Three hundred and seventy-seven thousand etc.

But it worked.

Login to Me Too

NoMobile
Contributor
Contributor

That's great, about time - but Paypal shows the wrong landline number for me despite previously updating it and now I can't log in to re-update. So my account is effectively inaccessible and unuseable - major shot in foot by Paypal. Just as well I can use a credit card on ebay instead of Paypal isn't it...

Login to Me Too

TraciVW

Well, it seems PayPal will be loosing many people over this. I do not want or feel I should have to use my mobile number to sign into my account. How does this make it more secure? If they insist on this, they will lose my business.

They also don't seem to be very responsive to their community. I am disappointed.

Login to Me Too

Alfred35
Contributor
Contributor

They will lose mine too.

To the people who say "get a phone" that is not a solution.  I have double authentication for work and for some web sites.  I do not need a mobile to double authenticate.  It is possible to provide the same level of additional security without requiring a mobile.  No one is going to buy a phone to solve this problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.