New website, PayPal account linked to previous owner, how to resolve?

FluffyDog
Contributor
Contributor

I created a website and bought a domain name that someone else has owned previously, someone has sent money through to this account by mistake using the wrong email address. I am unable to access the PayPal account as it requires two step authentication that is associated to the previous owner's mobile phone number.

I understand this is a recycled email address issue, I have messaged PayPal and spoken with customer services who tell me to send an email to [Removed] with a particular worded statement from my new email address. I have done this a number of times and each time PayPal responds through the PayPal messaging centre - obviously I can't access that as it is linked to the previous owner. When speaking with PayPal customer support they appear to totally understand the issue and supposedly make a special note on my account to ask the relevant department to respond to my email address rather than through the paypal message centre but nothing ever comes through.

Any suggestion as to what to do to resolve this issue as I have been trying for 3 months through the proper PayPal customer services routes that haven't helped at all? All that needs to happen is the original money be returned to the original person and then the paypal account can be closed down or better still associated to me as I am now the owner of the new domain name, is that possible or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help or advice on how to resolve the issue.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @FluffyDog,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post!

I am sorry to hear what has happened. I know this must be frustrating at this point. If the account with your email address was not actioned, it could mean the email we received from you with insufficient. 

For secuirty reasons, unauthorized email issues must be resolved with our Customer Support directly. When contacting support, please ensure to state you need this escalated to the relevant team as soon as possible.

To contact us, simply click here. Alternatively, you can contact us via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPal or Twitter @AskPayPal.

I hope you get this sorted!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.