New verification step to log into my account has blocked me from accessing it

sts_66
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to log into my Paypal account today to see if I got a refund for a canceled order, but got stopped by a new 2 step verification page that said enter your mobile number to proceed and get a code to confirm your ID - I don't have a cell phone - how the heck am I supposed to get into it now? This is a brand new change, never had this problem until today -  there should have an option to use a landline phone number or alternative email for this step (my other financial services can send a phone call to my landline with the security code) - right now I'm stuck, and calling customer service said there's a 2 1/2 hour wait to speak to someone!?! This is STUPID - not everyone in the world has or needs a cell phone!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sts_66 

Paypal are using mobile phones for i.d requirements for logging in and withdrawal funds for extra security measures.

There has been messages on paypal accounts for months reminding you to add / update one.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sts_66
Contributor
Contributor

Thnx, but most of those contact options are unavailable if you can't log in. I just found the Twitter tip and sent them a DM, hopefully this can get resolved - requiring a cellphone to have a paypal account is asinine and arrogant on their part, they WILL lose customers with this new policy. Oh, guess they don't care - after a google search this has been a problem for years than they refuse to change their policy - no cell phone no account access, but for some odd reason I tried to buy something with Paypal an hour ago and it let me choose "add new credit card" - what sense does that make? They will let me change CC's w/o logging in but won't let me log in?!?

Edit: Found a trick to get into Paypal using my home phone number, but it took a long time to figure it out - got a free cell number from a website I can't post here - Paypal censored it and wouldn't post my edit - site is free_phone_num with a com suffix.

Tried entering the first number as my cell - it was rejected as an invalid phone number like my GoogleVoice Mail # was rejected because it thinks it's a landline - got a 2nd number from that website, one that had received 600 SMS texts today, and that sent me to a different page - Paypal asked if it could call the landline number I have on my account and enter the on screen confirmation number it gave me - I clicked yes, and instantly got two VM translation emails from Comcast, but the phone never rang so I couldn't verify my account.

Checked my Xfinity VM online, it said the two calls from Paypal's 1-800 # were "Medium risk", which automatically get sent to VM - I changed the screening settings to allow those calls to ring through, repeated the process above, phone rang and I entered the verification number - Voila! I got into my Paypal account! Should be repeatable for others, just need to keep trying different free phone numbers until Paypal stops rejecting one of them and sends you to the next "call your landline" step. Hopefully I won't have to do this ever again!

Login to Me Too

scratchbaker
New Community Member

You cannot send Paypal a message until you log in. Catch-22.

Not everyone has or wants a cellphone/smartphone. I do not. Paypal should not have an option to verify a non-mobile phone number if it technically cannot do so. That's just bad business.

I telephoned Paypal for support and the hold time is almost 2 hours. Clearly I'm not the only user who cannot log in today.

I am not using Paypal for anything except online purchases so verifying my bank accounts is moot. They have one credit card number of mine and never will have access to anything else concerning my money.

Login to Me Too

scratchbaker
New Community Member

Forgot to mention. Many people eschew social media and are intentionally not on Facebook or Twitter. A company should not rely on the nasty people on FB or Twitter to conduct their business, especially when they come up with a verification process that didn't work months ago and is not working AGAIN today.

Login to Me Too

scratchbaker
New Community Member

Same problem with me. I asked to verify by calling my VOIP phone number and got an error message. Is Paypal that stupid??When I tried to call customer service, the computer said my phone number was on record and I needed to verify the last 4 of my SSN. Even that didn't let me log in. IF I FIND A GOOD ALTERNATIVE TO PAYPAL, I'M OUTA HERE.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.