NDID registration Non THAI

Steve358
Contributor
Contributor

Resident in Thailand but UK national Pay pal say i have to sign up for NDID to continue using my personal account but my Thai bank Bangkok bank say that i cant sign up for NDID as i do not have a Thai ID Card, any help appreciated or do i look for another method

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Lofty99
New Community Member

I use PayPal in the same way as you and totally agree with all your comments.

I've lived in Thailand for almost 20 years and have simply not attempted to get a permanent residency as it's so difficult to to do so.

It's almost as though PayPal don't even know (or care) that the majority of foreign PayPal users in Thailand will simply be unable to continue using PayPal if they pursue the ridiculously impossible requirement of having to get a Thai ID card to do so. 

Read my lips PayPal - "It's almost impossible for us to register to continue using PayPal in Thailand using the method you require".

Personally, I've already begun using an alternative service - there are many to choose from now.

Good luck PP...!!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

kerryld
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same boat, except I am Canadian.

And literally the only PayPal transactions I make are to pay for things (or services) online, which then get  charged to my personal credit card.

It is ridiculous to make a requirement that you HAVE to have a Thai ID card to prove who you are, especially when you've been verified (by PayPal) and been using it for years.
Not to mention that foreigners living in Thailand CAN'T get a Thai ID card. Period. (And if you knew what it takes to even try to get Permanent Residency here you'd know what I mean.)

Also note that THAILAND does NOT require us to have a Thai ID in order to get a Driving License, open a bank account, buy a condo or vehicle (or both).

Seems a little "off" that we'd suddenly be required to have an ID just to keep using a service we've been using for years.

Login to Me Too

Steve358
Contributor
Contributor

Have been looking on Asaean forum and one member said that they had contacted Paypal and been told that they were looking in to how to register Non Thai members and would decide later in the mean time i am applying for an blue ID card for foreigners hoping that it might help in the meantime i will look for alternatives and hope that they can find a workaround

Login to Me Too
Solved

Lofty99
New Community Member

I use PayPal in the same way as you and totally agree with all your comments.

I've lived in Thailand for almost 20 years and have simply not attempted to get a permanent residency as it's so difficult to to do so.

It's almost as though PayPal don't even know (or care) that the majority of foreign PayPal users in Thailand will simply be unable to continue using PayPal if they pursue the ridiculously impossible requirement of having to get a Thai ID card to do so. 

Read my lips PayPal - "It's almost impossible for us to register to continue using PayPal in Thailand using the method you require".

Personally, I've already begun using an alternative service - there are many to choose from now.

Good luck PP...!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Steve358 @kerryld @Lofty99

Thank you for the post and welcome to our community forum!

I totally understand your concern here. Financial services providers like PayPal are obliged under Thai law to verify the identity of their customers, which helps us keep PayPal safe for everyone using it.

We are using the National Digital ID (NDID) platform to help us verify the identity of customers seeking to use PayPal Thailand personal accounts . A Thai national ID is currently required to enroll in NDID. You can get the detailed information about enrolling to NDID here

I hope this information helps

Bindu 

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Steve358
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you but your reply is of no help as I am not a Thai national and can not have a Thai ID card and you need a Thai ID card to register for NDID and the information you sent I already had.

I sent a query to PayPal last week and no one has bothered to reply to me, again the question is are paypal doing anything to remedy this problem or do i start using another payment provider such as Skrill

Login to Me Too

kerryld
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry but it doesn't help at all.

For one, we have ALL already had our identifications verified by PayPal and no doubt have been using the service for years.

To claim now that we won't be able to in the future because you can't verify our identity is a cop-out.

Secondly, as has been stated repeatedly, as foreigners we can NOT get a Thai ID card and therefore can NOT register with the NDID program. I'm not sure which part of that is hard to understand.

We CAN'T use the NDID system.

Which means, if this change is implemented, you will be cutting off almost every foreigner in Thailand that uses your service, including all the ones like myself who use it for personal matters and not business related transactions.

Funny how Thailand has NO problem verifying my identity using my Passport, but PayPal can't do the same.

Login to Me Too

chrismast
New Community Member

Why can't PayPal just use the usual KYC method to verify identities?

Every crypto exchange can do so, even Thai once (i.e. bitkub).

This is utter laziness on PayPal's side which will lead to many foreigners deserting PayPal altogether as they use it for freelance business etc.

As mentioned before, good that there are alternatives without those limitations in Thailand (i.e. wise, stripe etc.).

Login to Me Too

vault087
Contributor
Contributor
It was a pleasure to work with PayPal but seems our days are over 🤣 BTW there are plenty of KYC services that provides identity for many E-Wallet apps, why did you choose the one that cuts a lots of your customers?
Login to Me Too

Piing
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Bindu   your reply is not helping.

I do not have Thai nationality or Thai ID card, therefore I cannot get a NDIN, even through I have been living and working in Thailand since 2010. Getting a Thai ID card for foreigners is mission impossible.

What can I do to continue using PayPal? Shall I say goodbye to the PayPal services? ☹️

I'm immediately transferring all my funds to the bank account, before this requirement is mandatory. I am scared that I may not have access to my money anymore ☹️

BTW, why is this issue marked as SOLVED?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.