Moving abroad and transferring PayPal balance to a new account

SeekingforSun
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

as I understood, when moving abroad I need to close my Paypal and open a new one. However, I would like to know, whether it is possible to first open the new account, transfer there money from the old one and then to close the old account

Thank you in advance for your answer

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SeekingforSun 

The PayPal user agreement requires that you must withdraw or transfer any PayPal balance from your PayPal account before closing it. It doesn’t explicitly say you can’t zero out your account by sending it to your new PayPal account but you would save on PayPal fees from sending money internationally and any applicable currency conversion fees by withdrawing to your local bank now especially if your new PayPal account has an entirely different opening currency than your old PayPal account. For example, if you’re moving from the Czech PayPal (CZK) to Hungary PayPal (HUF).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SeekingforSun 

The PayPal user agreement requires that you must withdraw or transfer any PayPal balance from your PayPal account before closing it. It doesn’t explicitly say you can’t zero out your account by sending it to your new PayPal account but you would save on PayPal fees from sending money internationally and any applicable currency conversion fees by withdrawing to your local bank now especially if your new PayPal account has an entirely different opening currency than your old PayPal account. For example, if you’re moving from the Czech PayPal (CZK) to Hungary PayPal (HUF).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SeekingforSun
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.