Major security flaw - the system keeps re-enabling auto login even after I keep turning it off

j_a_s
Contributor
Contributor

I've been dealing with customer support all day over this issue and they say they can do nothing but I want to raise it here as well since it's a major security flaw. Paypal is a financial site and therefore security controls should be very strong. I always log out whenever I complete a transaction and I never click the "stay logged in" button that's always presented. Now, every time I log in, I get an email saying "We've made it easier for you to check out with PayPal. Since we recognize this device, we'll automatically log you in so you can skip typing your password at checkout! ... If this is a shared device, or you don't want us to automatically log you in, we recommend that you turn this feature off." I go in and manually turn the feature off. Then the next time I log in to make a transaction, I get the same email again, the feature is re-enabled again, and I have to go in to manually turn it off again. This is totally unacceptable. I'm the only one who should be able to determine if my device is trusted and and if I want to enable auto login. I was told that there's nothing they can do and that I'll simply have to manually disable the feature every time. This is a major security flaw and it's a big deal. I was told that my concern has been escalated but I'm posting this here in the hopes of raising the visibility of this issue. Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
116 REPLIES 116

vicmowery
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you AngiesTyping for adding your voice to this.  You will notice my original question was posted back in April and yours is the first response in December.  Apparently we are not going to get any help with this.  It just happened again to me today!!!  Very frustrating that it is not optional.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @vicmowery, @AngiesTyping

Welcome! I'm sorry to hear you're running into some issues with the auto-login feature. Have you tried going into your settings and logging out of all your devices? If not, here are a few steps you may find useful here:

1. Login to your PayPal account. 
  2. Click the Settings (gear) icon. 
  3. Click Security.
  4. Click Update next to Auto Logins.
  5. Click Log out of all devices at the bottom
  6. Click Done

That should turn off all automatic logins that you may already have saved and unable to turn off. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

vicmowery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for the reply trying to help.  As I mentioned, I have turned it off multiple times, but it keeps automatically turning itself back on.  This could be a major security issue, if for example you use a public or shared PC, it gets "recognized" as one you use often and turns on auto login.  NOT something a trusted platform like PayPal should be doing.

Login to Me Too

AngiesTyping
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, @PayPal_JonK , as @vicmowery has re-stated, turning off the auto log-in isn't the problem . . . it's having it STAY OFF and NEVER, EVER log us back into it.  It causes a problem because PayPal doesn't ASK if we want auto log-in turned on, it just DOES it.  Again, and again.  And it is causing problems!  We need to be able to disable the function PERMANENTLY, not just be able to click it back off when the damage has already been done.

Login to Me Too

Milonoodle
New Community Member

MID 2022 and this issue hasn't been sorted.

I live in share house with common logon, turns on my auto logon without asking me. If i'm lucky I notice the email later saying its been turned on.

Dropping paypal, its not secure.

Login to Me Too

Frustrated----
New Community Member

This has been going on for a year + and PayPal has not fixed it.  PayPal obviously knows about the security breach and condones it.  I will be closing my account.  I have lost all faith in PayPal as a secure website to do my financial transactions through. 

Login to Me Too

hrystonian
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using PayPal forever!  In the last few months, pretty much, every time I use PayPal, it turns the auto-login back on.  I turn it off & it's a cycle that doesn't stop.  I actually recently dedicated a charge card for online purchases ONLY so I can monitor it closely & make sure the information is not saved during checkout so no non-approved kid (& adult in some cases) purchases can be made.

The more this auto login turns on, the more I tend to lean towards the charge card instead.

I really don't want to go thru the inconvenience with 2-factor authentication, but I may have to, just to stop them from turning it on, after I turn it OFF.  If it doesn't stop, I may just quit using PayPal all together.

I don't understand the reasoning behind doing this...  They won't fix it & this is a HUGE SECURITY ISSUE!

Login to Me Too

holoperson
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find anywhere after I log in to turn it off. There's no link or button that I can see.

Where is it?

The email that notifies me that trusted status is turned on has a link, but when I use it I get an error message:

paypal.com uses security technology that is outdated and vulnerable to attack

I'm using Firefox, which is perhaps being fussy.

thanks

holo

Login to Me Too

j_a_s
Contributor
Contributor

It’s under Settings then Security. You should see an option that says Auto Login or something like that. 

Login to Me Too

Haly2003
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this is starting to drive me nuts. I get email an saying, "Since we recognise this device, you'll continue to stay logged in, so you can skip having to enter your password during certain activities, such as checking out."  I disable it. It reappears a few weeks later. I disable it and it reappears again.  This is an  unacceptable risk. I don't ever want my Paypal to be accessed without a password. EVER.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.