Major security flaw - the system keeps re-enabling auto login even after I keep turning it off

j_a_s
Contributor
Contributor

I've been dealing with customer support all day over this issue and they say they can do nothing but I want to raise it here as well since it's a major security flaw. Paypal is a financial site and therefore security controls should be very strong. I always log out whenever I complete a transaction and I never click the "stay logged in" button that's always presented. Now, every time I log in, I get an email saying "We've made it easier for you to check out with PayPal. Since we recognize this device, we'll automatically log you in so you can skip typing your password at checkout! ... If this is a shared device, or you don't want us to automatically log you in, we recommend that you turn this feature off." I go in and manually turn the feature off. Then the next time I log in to make a transaction, I get the same email again, the feature is re-enabled again, and I have to go in to manually turn it off again. This is totally unacceptable. I'm the only one who should be able to determine if my device is trusted and and if I want to enable auto login. I was told that there's nothing they can do and that I'll simply have to manually disable the feature every time. This is a major security flaw and it's a big deal. I was told that my concern has been escalated but I'm posting this here in the hopes of raising the visibility of this issue. Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
116 REPLIES 116

Fzdolfan
Contributor
Contributor
I'm not even logging in! I just get the email every day and I go and turn off auto login. What's more, it says "Desktop Firefox on OS X" I don't own a Mac, and I don't use Firefox! I have an iPad, but I don't use PayPal on it. I think I read somewhere that it could be Mint updating my accounts. 🤷
Login to Me Too

amiganut
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem along with the other 66 people here now ebay is giving me other options to pay maybe time to leave paypal .my problem was escalated to a supervisor who basically told me to just go in and remove it from my account (and after that my comments have ben ignored)but it doesnt solve the problem of it making a device secure without my say, and as I have advised them of this being a problem I am now holding them responsible if anyone has access to my account if it has been caused by them making a device secure when there is no option to opt out of this so called service take note Paypal

Login to Me Too

JumX

Still happening every time I am dumb enough to checkout with Paypal. Whoever came up with this ridiculous idea should be fired. I have recently started using AmazonPay instead. Paypal really needs to get their priorities straightened out.

Login to Me Too

Mrswoo01

Hi, this is my issue also but I don't know how to manually turn off auto login. Could someone please tell me how? It's a ridiculous feature. Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello  @j_a_s, @EilaGoss, @Mrswoo01, @vicmowery, @AngiesTyping, and everyone else, 

I'm sorry to hear the steps provided above are not working properly. I'd first recommend double-checking those steps as well as clearing your browser's cache, cookies, and history completely. After that, I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams for further assistance. They can be reached by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

My apologies for the inconvenience and have a great day!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

EilaGoss
Contributor
Contributor
Is this the issue? No password required? Options EilaGoss New Community Member Posted on  ‎Dec-10-2021 10:48 PM When using Ebay the PayPal payments are going through without my having to put in a password. Why? Is there a way of stopping this?
Login to Me Too

j_a_s
Contributor
Contributor
Once you log in you have to actively log out otherwise you'll stay logged in forever. Every time I do a payment, I have to go into PayPal and log out. You shouldn't have to take that extra step - the system should automatically log you out when you leave or time out after a certain length - but it doesn't. That's a separate issue from the auto-login problem. It's shocking that a financial company doesn't take the most basic security precautions.
Login to Me Too

EilaGoss
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. I agree the system should automatically log users out. I think it may do after a certain amount of time as I got a notification that I had timed out trying to get into the forum...
Login to Me Too

shine75
Contributor
Contributor
This gets me so angry. I’ve complained SEVERAL times . It’s exactly the same response. They tell me how to turn it off …. Which is not at all the issue . I know how to turn the damned auto log in option off , they make me do it once a week . Every time they say they’ll escalate the complaint to their techs but it just keeps happening. I don’t understand how a business, who’s top objective is security , can blatantly disregard it in this fashion . It’s absolutely ridiculous
Login to Me Too

SomeUser567
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't matter what a business claims their "top objective" is, it's always to make as much money as possible. PayPal has made the calculation that they'll make more money by having people constantly logged in than they would by being more secure for their users. This is the same calculation they made when they let sellers slip in automatic payments on you. After every PayPal purchase you have to check your automatic payment settings to make sure PayPal didn't give the seller back door access to your money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.