Logging into my account without my mobile phone

EmptyBucket
Contributor
Contributor

Note: This is not my usual account, I've made a new one to ask this question.

So I've (temporarily) lost access to my mobile phone (for the next 2 weeks) and wish to log into my Paypal account, however there is no option to receive a code via e-mail; how would I go about doing this?

I've e-mailed their support twice (through this link) and the first time, I was given a copy-paste message that was meaningless to me. The second time, however, I was told that they left me a message in my 'Message Centre' Inbox which, of course, I cannot access.

Thanks,

~ Dawood

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

soulmanuk

If you have

an old number then you can't receive the log in code. Nice one PayPal all that money from accounts that people can not log into. 

Login to Me Too

toooldtooz
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely right about the accounts that cannot be logged into, however I believe this whole mess has been started by the faceless European Union making unworkable directives. I don't have a mobile phone.

Login to Me Too

voipio
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is essentially broken for anyone who doesn't have their original mobile number, or who lives in an area without mobile phone coverage.   It is completely inacessible to those, quite sizeable groups of people.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@voipio 

I don't have mobile coverage so i chose a phone that gave me wifi phoning.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

voipio
Contributor
Contributor

How much would that cost, using a PAYG phone?  Being a pensioner limits one's options, unfortunately.

Login to Me Too

Woof-Woof
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a mobile phone, I hate speaking on phones, so I don't log into my Paypal account, I'd like to mind you but have given up, money goes in, money goes out, I trust Paypal and guess I'm in credit by about £2000, e,g, $3000 dollars, I do not know how much is there and I don't care, if Paypal do not want me to log in that is their affair, call it Swiss Banking with a new twist, the only problem is: if I die no one knows I have this account and the cash will be lost in Paypals Cyber Space accounts. Isn't that hilarious, that's what I love about Paypal, they are a law unto themselves, other banks let you have a glimpse into your account - they don't. In Paypal, We Trust, is their motto, and I do, I do. 

Login to Me Too

Jolokia
Contributor
Contributor

This is super annoying.
The first loop I am stuck in, is Paypal assuming I forgot my password, and wanting to send me a verification code so I can change the password. Not necessairy but I change the password anyways, then there's a couple of captchas etc.  Evidently this is not good enough because here comes the third verification :  I have to enter a code, sent to a phonenumber. Well I don't have a phone and I don't want one.  The phonenumber Paypal has, is an old one that belonged to my former partner who I haven't been in contact with for almost 5 years.
What happens next is a Kafka-esque spaghetti ball of frustration enough to make me want to pull my hair out in great big heaps, leap from the balcony, and in case I should survive, just run down the street senselessly screaming at the cosmos until a bunch of medics drag me off in a straightjacket.  
Not counting the dozens of times the help center sent me in vicious circles my interaction with it was more or less  as follows : 
"Do you need help with your password ?"
NO I DON'T NEED HELP WITH MY PASSWORD, I JUST ENTERED IT 5 SECONDS AGO. MY PASSWORD IS FINE. I ALREADY CHANGED IT FOR YOU AFTER YOU SENT ME A VERICATION CODE.
"To change your phonenumber, go to your profile page..."
I CAN'T GO TO MY PROFILE PAGE, BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG IN.  I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE MY PHONENUMBER, I WANT TO LOGIN WITHOUT A PHONE.
"...logout and press the 3 dots icon.."
I CANNOT LOG OUT BECAUSE I AM NOT LOGGED IN. I CAN'T LOG IN.
"Call at (lists 5 phone numbers available between 7 am and 8 pm)"
I CAN NOT CALL ANY OF THESE NUMBERS BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A PHONE
"To email go to the "notification center" for a private email channel between you and Paypal."
I CAN'T GO TO THE NOTIFICATION CENTRE BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG IN
"How to add another email addres, or if you forgot your email adress.."
NONONO...I KNOW MY OWN EMAIL ADDRESS VERY WELL, AND I DON'T WANT TO ADD ANOTHER ONE, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW A PAYPAL HELPDESK / SERVICE EMAIL ADDRESS THAT I CAN REACH OUT TO WITHOUT BEING LOGGED IN, SO I CAN ASK FOR HELP HOW TO LOG IN WITHOUT A PHONE.
"Did this help ?"
NO. I'M AFRAID IT DID NOT.
"What is the reason ? Pick one of the following reasons"
MY PROBLEM IS NOT LISTED. I CAN'T LOGIN WITHOUT A PHONE.
"Explain your problem (100 characters max.)
I'M AFRAID A HUNDRED CHARACTERS IS INSUFFICIENT TO THIS PROBLEM.

Please solve this.

Login to Me Too

voipio
Contributor
Contributor

Clearly PayPal are not listening to their users/customers, or taking this seriously enough, else they would have solved this by now.  The situation they have created is ludicrous.  I haven't used eBay or PayPal for many months now, because of this. 

Login to Me Too

Jolokia
Contributor
Contributor

A year and a half later, the issue hasn't been solved yet.

I'm abandoning Paypal for good.

Have fun with my money, don't spend it all in one place. 

Login to Me Too

FrustratedLady
Contributor
Contributor

If I could give you more up votes I would!  I just used my account a few days ago & had no problems getting in.  I noticed an unusual charge that I wanted to look at & bam...enter your cell phone number.  The only number I've ever had on the account is a land line!  So they send me an email at 1243 this am telling me that they are going to make it easier for me to check out using pay pal because they recognize the computer I'm on...no password required!  Oh, doesn't that make me feel better (NOT!).  Some little hacker in India is going to have an easier time getting in to our accounts than we will.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.