Location of my PayPal account

Stan7444
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a PayPal account in the USA for the past 20+ years since the founding of PayPal. All of my transactions have been through this account. Although I partly reside in Thailand, for some reason PayPal Thailand took over my account. They started sending me messages that "all Thailand PayPal accounts must now be for COMMERCIAL COMPANIES and not personal accounts." This is I understand a new law in Thailand starting 2022. I contacted PayPal Thailand and the agent said that he would now transfer all of their account for me (which I NEVER authorized them to hold anyway) back to PayPal USA so I do not have any problems with sending money to the USA as I often do. However, I am still getting text messages from PayPal Thailand to "please change my account information to conform with the new Thai laws." I want NOTHING to do with the Thailand operation of PayPal and only use my USA account for any money transfers. The agent in Thailand acknowledged that he had made this change but I am still getting PayPal Thailand messages all of the time. Please check that the changes which I requested have been made so I do not have any problems sending money to the USA. Thanks, Stan

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @Stan7444,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post.

PayPal is country specific. This means it can only be used in the country it is registered in. 

The country of a PayPal account cannot be changed. There are no exceptions to this. If you are receiving emails regarding Thailand PayPal accounts, this would mean your account is registered in Thailand, not the USA. To view the country that your account is registered in, simply login and click the flag at the bottom right of the page. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Stan7444
Contributor
Contributor

Hi:

I NEVER registered for PayPal Thailand and have ALWAYS been registered in PayPal USA for 20 years plus. I never asked to reregister for Thailand or any other country. Also, when contacting PayPal Thailand to have them STOP all correspondence they promised me that my PayPal account was secure in the USA and not in Thailand. I travel the world and if I happen to travel to Germany, does my PayPal account get changed to that country if I am there for a few months??? Does not make any common sense. I am an American citizen and want my PayPal in the USA and NOT in any other country, otherwise I will need to quit PayPal and choose another money transfer system unfortunately after 20 years of using PayPal. 

Thanks,

Stan

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Thanks for following up on your previous message, @Stan7444. It sounds like there's been a misunderstanding with an account you created many years ago. I will do my best to clarify things.

Because we're unable to review an account based on messages here and then discuss any details, we can only advise you to log on to your account and check your Profile. Please review the mailing address added to the account, the phone number and other information such as the time zone. Those will indicate what country the account reflects.

You can also click on Legal at the bottom of any page and then click the link for the PayPal User Agreement. For customers who have a US account, the User Agreement will specifically say "It applies to U.S. PayPal accounts only." If you don't see that reference, then the account was created reflecting a different country of registration.

Once again, it's not possible to change the country of registration after an account has been created. Traveling to other countries does not cause anything in an account to change.

If your account was created reflecting Thailand as the country of registration, my best suggestion is that you close the account and create a new account that reflects the U.S. Before creating a new account, it may best to click on the flag in the lower right corner of the home page at https://www.paypal.com and select the U.S. as the country that should be reflected in any new account.

I'm very sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication that may have occurred. I hope this information helps to clarify things. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.