I have received an sms security code from PayPal, but I did not try to log in. Am I being hacked?

Alex--P
Contributor
Contributor

So today I've received an sms with a security code from PayPal out of the blue. I did not attempt to log in, neither did I have 2 step verification on. Anyone knows what's going on? Is it just a random glitch from PayPal or someone is trying to access my account? 

Why was I even sent the code if I didn't have 2-step verification on?

I've changed my password just in case, and enabled 2-step verification, but I still don't understand what happened.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Donna

Hello @Alex--P,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

In this situation, the best thing to do would be to contact our Customer Care department. You can do this by going to the ‘Contact Us’ link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You will then see what contact options are available to you. We can then verify some information with you and help you further. 

-Donna

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Donna

Hello @Alex--P,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

In this situation, the best thing to do would be to contact our Customer Care department. You can do this by going to the ‘Contact Us’ link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You will then see what contact options are available to you. We can then verify some information with you and help you further. 

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Kijete
New Community Member

I tried the Customer Care as suggested in the official response. The automated assistant didn't understand the question. I rephrased, and it said "No agents are available. Try again during office hours." I asked "When are office hours?" It responded "No agents are available. Try again during office hours."

I'm still wondering why I got the message offering a security code. Does that mean somebody tried to change my password, or that they had obtained the password somehow but are stopped because of <reasons>?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.