How long does it take to change my name?

Anna__V
Contributor
Contributor

I've sent all the required papers, including photos of my photo ID and official government issued papers.

This was about a month ago. Nothing has changed. PayPal still has my stupid nickname on display, not my actual legal name.

No communication, nothing. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anna__V 

If the name on the account is not a name that was ever your legal name, it is not likely that a name change will be possible. Names can be changed on an account in the following circumstances:

A legal name change

A minor misspelling

And in the case of an account for a registered business, a change in the designated contact for the company.

Changing from a fictitious name (or, as in your case, a name unrelated to your legal name) to a legally recognized name is not something that is supported. If the account is not currently limited, you may wish to close the account and open an account using the correct information.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anna__V
Contributor
Contributor

This is not the first time I see you posting this same message, why? I assumed that the others were just old and they've changed something since then, but you posted it now?

Okay, first off: They do. Why do you say that's something that's not supported when they *literally* have a service for that exact thing? You go to settings, clock the "Change Name" beside your name and there's a spot that says:

"Update your name

Use your full name instead of a nickname, for example"

That's literally what you just said they won't do. 

Second: Even if it was true, it would be asinine not to. I have *all* the legal documents that I'm who I say I am, with all the legal names present. Why woud they stick onto a name they have absolutely no proof of that it's me, since they didn't require legal names back in 2005 when I registered. Even banks need to change their accounts based on the papers I have, so why wouldn't they?

Third: Just to prove the point, PayPal updated my name just now. It's all done, changed, and working. 
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anna__V 

Paypal doesn't agree with you. Scroll down to Paypal Michaels FIRST post.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/Used-Paypal-Legal-Name-as-a-quot-user-name-quot-HELP/...

and read the original moderators comment which I copy/pasted and which I have confirmed is still current.

Some old guides do say you can change a nickname but they are old pages and nowadays you can only change a name for a 2 character typo or for legal reasons.

Scroll down to Paypal Olivias post. 

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/4/message-id/150100

Also I have been posted that information for the years it has been correct and others have found that I am correct.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Anna__V
Contributor
Contributor

Aight. Be that way. But this is what PayPal offers when you click on the "Change Name": https://imgur.com/a/v4S15M3
It *literally* mentions nickname.

Also, I used that link when I posted this originally a couple of days ago, and they changed my name to my legal name now. 

So, I don't know what happened, or why PayPal is different for you, but for me it clearly worked. You *CAN* change from a nickname, and it DOES WORK.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anna__V 

Be what way?

You contradicting my advice so I posted the Paypal moderators advice that backs my advice up.

As I said some Paypals pages have not been updated and you find them in a google search. I saw what you saw and have had it confirmed that it is in fact NOW incorrect.

If you managed to change it then you were either very lucky OR its because your account dates back to 2005 when nicknames were allowed so they were happy to change it for you.

Either way its now against Paypal rules to use a nickname and it CANNOT be changed.

If you want to argue the point then start with Paypal themselves who's advice I posted above.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.