How do I turn OFF the "Trusted Dervice" status PERMANENTLY?

p3orion1
Contributor
Contributor

Every now and then I get an email from Paypal saying "Since we recognize this device, you’ll continue to stay logged in, so you can skip typing your password during certain activities such as check out."  I DO NOT WANT THIS!  That's my last chance to make sure I'm on my personal account rather than the one I use (on the same computer) for a charity I manage.  There have been a couple of times when I went to pay for something I bought on Ebay, and because Paypal skimmed me through the log-in, I ended up using the wrong account.

There's a link in the email to turn off Trusted Device status, but then a week or so later, I'm back with it again. 

How do I PERMANENTLY disable "Trusted Device" status?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Tachy_G
Contributor
Contributor

OMFG! 

I get that email every single time I make a purchase using paypal and every single time I have to click the link in the email which is even worse, I should never be 'clicking a link in an email' that has anything to do with information that needs to stay secure.

This is why my bank only sends notification that I have a communication waiting and that I "MUST" go login to my account "MANUALLY" to view it.

I NEVER WANT TO STAY LOGGED INTO PAYPAL, ANYWHERE!

FFS! I just got one after logging in to write this post!

Login to Me Too

cham46

Confused!? This post is listed as 'Solved'??? I don't see the solution.... How to PERMANENTLY Turn Off 'Trusted Device'?

Login to Me Too

Tachy_G
Contributor
Contributor
 "Quote"  
New Community Member
‎Jul-14-2022 09:08 AM

Confused!? This post is listed as 'Solved'??? I don't see the solution.... How to PERMANENTLY Turn Off 'Trusted Device'? 

"UnQuote" 

When I replied that I was also angry over the same anti-security 'feature' the website automatically marked my reply as the solution 😞

Login to Me Too

p3orion
Contributor
Contributor

The good news is that they seem to have finally stopped doing it anyway, even though I never was able to take any positive steps to do anything about it.  It's been at least a couple of months since they've offered to "help" by keeping me logged in.   Of course, I've probably jinxed that now...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hi there @cham46 and everyone else on this thread! 

I understand you would all like some help turning off the trusted devices/one-touch feature. 

For steps on this, see: What is One Touch and how do I use it? (paypal.com) 

If that link does not work and if you are in a country where the steps are different, I would ask that you search either 'trusted devices' or 'one-touch' on the PayPal Help Center for your country-specific steps. 

I hope this can help you all! Have a nice day. 

Rebecca 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

koelsh

@PayPal_RebeccaN The link "What is One Touch..." gives the error "The page you're looking for is no longer available"

I'm also going to speculate/assume all it says is to remove the device under Security  —>  Auto Login. The problem is, if you search the forum, users have been disabling individual devices and Paypal KEEPS REENABLING them. What we we are looking for is the functionality to permanently disable this feature altogether.

Login to Me Too

pickaroon

Your so-called "link" does not link to any article.

I detest this feature, this Stay logged in on this trusted device feature.  It would seem on its face that it reduces security.  It annoys me every time I make a purchase, and yet I still am required to log in the next time I make use of the site.

PayPal itself should dump this.  Since they won't, I want to dump it.  Please specify how to defeat this "feature."

Login to Me Too

Temp20220912B
New Community Member
Just received an email saying Hey we're gonna keep you logged in to this trusted site. What?!? I do not want to stay auto logged in EVER!! How dare you paypal? No solution how to disable permanently. You have made it so difficult to use your service that you will be losing customers in droves and you deserve it.with your greedy arrogant selves you need a class action lawsuit suit risking our security for your greed
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hello @Temp20220912B

Thank you for your post and welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! 

I appreciate this must be concerning. You can stay logged in on your trusted devices. However, if you do not wish to use this feature, you can 'forget your device'. I will leave steps on how to do this. 

You can manage the devices and browsers you use to log into your PayPal account and remove the ones you don't use anymore.

Here's how to remove the devices and browsers you don't use anymore:

1. Click the Settings icon next to "Log out."
  2. Click Security.
  3. Click Manage next to "Manage where you log in."
  4. Click Remove under the devices and browsers you don't use anymore.
    Tips:
    We will send you a notification whenever we notice a new login from a device we don't recognize.
    This feature is not available on the PayPal app.

I hope this helps and I am sorry for any inconvenience caused as a result of this. 

Rebecca 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.