How do I disable one-time codes

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

Recently when logging in, Paypal has started offering me the option of logging in with a one-time SMS code to my phone rather than a password.  This seems incredibly insecure to me and I'd prefer not to have it on my account.  I cannot find any way to disable this when I check my account settings.  I've spoken with half a dozen agents at this point about this, and half have told me it can't be disabled and half told me they'd send me instructions on how to disabled it, but either the instructions never arrived or were not relevant.  How do I go about disabling this feature on my account?

Login to Me Too
106 REPLIES 106

Mmcgo1
Yep, my friend literally had her sim hacked and they accessed her PayPal. For that reason I’ve removed my bank accounts from PayPal. It is ridiculous that almost a year after your post, this is STILL a permanent way for people to log in. PayPal needs to allow this to be disabled. It is not secure.
Login to Me Too

evie56
Contributor
Contributor

In addition to being insecure, this feature is incredibly inconvenient for people like me who live in rural areas where we sometimes have wifi access, but not cell phone service (or vice versa). I go to log in on my wifi, but then my cell phone never receives the code because I don't have service. I have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest town and go to a library to get both wifi and cell phone service at the same time. This feature has made PayPal more or less unusable to me. In general, I wish any tech provider would ever consider the limitations that people living in rural areas have to deal with.

Login to Me Too

Lx450
Contributor
Contributor
I also believe that a user's password should be required when electing to add PayPal as a payment method. (The option to allow re-entry of a simple code sent from Paypal to my phone to gain access to my funding is very insecure. My problem has been that on occasion, my teenager will simply enter MY email to add MY paypal as a payment method to THEIR Google Pay account and then then they will look at the code that was sent as a text to MY phone and then enter it on the prompt on THEIR phone. "POOF" my PayPal is now added as one of their payment methods on Google Pay. A belt does not always work. I enjoy having passwords for good reasons! Please eliminate the singular text code option asap! Thank you! I'm ok with the requirement of either password by itself or password and code, but definitely not ok with the text code as a stand alone option to gain access to my funding. Thank you! (I hope that someone that can shed light on this issue will read my concern, and recognize that it's a real issue with parents, in hopes of a possible rectification to the problem...but, unfortunately, I think that this may just simply be a chat helpline...) Any suggestions as to where I should direct my concerns? Thank you!
Login to Me Too

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

No suggestion on where to redirect.  Paypal is ignoring all of us on all known contact methods hoping we go away.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220711f
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. I have 2-factor with authenticator app enabled, and this one-time code completely bypasses that security mechanism! So if someone hacked a sim card, they would have insta-access to my account. I'm removing all of my accounts from paypal.

Login to Me Too

adampcompton
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Natasha , please explain how this feature is meant to protect customers. 

If someone steals my phone, they can immediately make a purchase with Paypal without needing to know my password OR be able to get past the log-in screen of my phone, as these one-time text notifications pop up directly on the lock screen.  Who is this even benefiting other than potential criminals?

For one of the biggest payment processors in the world, this is an insanely stupid security risk and might cause me to drop Paypal altogether.  

Login to Me Too

jlariviere
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, offering to send a code to a phone, turning it on by default, and not allowing it to be turned off are all EXTREMELY insecure and unacceptable.  

Login to Me Too

countrylift

What the hell have you guys been smoking?
How does a mandatory bypass of 2FA help anyone except unauthorised users?

I'm going to have to take my cards off Paypal.

Login to Me Too

fpzEpEQ

How is this enabled for the protection of our customers? Anyone can log in to your account as long as they have access to your phone they do not even need to unlock the phone to see the one time code!! Logging in with your password should be enforced and if a second factor of authentication is configured it should be required too!!

This is not secure please provide a way to disable this feature!

Login to Me Too

Sorghum33
Contributor
Contributor

What PayPal is doing here is the equivalent of forcing all their customers to leave their front door unlocked, and saying its "for their protection".
SIM swapping is common. That's all a thief would have to do. Forced SMS code login ability, with no way to turn it off, is pure madness. I struggle to comprehend how one of the world's biggest payment processors thinks this is a good idea.
@PayPal_Natasha- This feature removes protection from customers accounts. Please remove the feature or add a button to permanently turn it off.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.