How do I disable one-time codes

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

Recently when logging in, Paypal has started offering me the option of logging in with a one-time SMS code to my phone rather than a password.  This seems incredibly insecure to me and I'd prefer not to have it on my account.  I cannot find any way to disable this when I check my account settings.  I've spoken with half a dozen agents at this point about this, and half have told me it can't be disabled and half told me they'd send me instructions on how to disabled it, but either the instructions never arrived or were not relevant.  How do I go about disabling this feature on my account?

Login to Me Too
106 REPLIES 106

WuJJ

Yes, suddenly downgrading the security of login while saying it's for "protection of customer" is ridiculous. Honestly the fact this even managed to get released at first place is a lot to worry about what's going on inside Paypal and its product priorities. It used to be a great payment service so I can hide my credit card numbers. Now it's a service if my phone number is lost or hijacked, we are handing all cards to some random guy. Phone number is also very ugly to deal with for people like me that routinely travel across borders. I guess I will try to switch away as much as I could. 

Login to Me Too

rosenkoetter
Contributor
Contributor

I agree: providing direct login access strictly through a phone number (which have repeatedly been ported to a new, different account by social engineering) tied to a SIM card (which are easily spoofed and stolen) is a really bad security choice. Same goes for using them as part of two-factor authentication.

@Only1KW: one option to reduce the risk surface here is to only tell Paypal about a phone number associated with a VoIP account (many people use Google Voice for this, others are available). That doesn't rule out the "pretend to be you, port your number to a new service" attack, but it does avoid the SIM spoofing attack.

Login to Me Too

andorxor
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any comment from Paypal on this?

This is a ridiculous feature to have permanently enabled for everyone. Most people (myself included) display SMS snippets with their phones locked.

If someone stole my phone they could easily read the code from the notifications.

Is Paypal going to hold me liable for fraudulent transactions because of this, because of a feature I don't want and can't disable?

Login to Me Too

Ianrm57
Contributor
Contributor

I spent time with PayPal with chat and they also eventually called me. She told me that that option doesn’t come from PayPal and that eBay adds it sometimes. Think she was **bleep** me, asked her why PayPal would let eBay do something that bypassed PayPal’s security, she stuck to her story.

Login to Me Too

Ianrm57
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same line of **bleep** a while back, after calling them

Login to Me Too

Ianrm57
Contributor
Contributor

I rang PayPal about this and the person claimed it was eBay that was doing this and not PayPal, which is **bleep**, eBay denied it of cause. Funny that I’m not offered one time passcode to log in here.

Login to Me Too

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

@Ianrm57 wrote:

I rang PayPal about this and the person claimed it was eBay that was doing this and not PayPal, which is **bleep**, eBay denied it of cause. Funny that I’m not offered one time passcode to log in here.

Me: I'm concerned about Paypal's decision to not require a password anymore.

Paypal: It's actually not us doing that.  See, we give control of how secure your Paypal account access is to the clients embedding our payment system into their websites.

Me: Oh that's much more comforting.

Login to Me Too

C3V
Contributor
Contributor
Been getting the same thing. Very much agree with all comments above! Seems too “easy”. There is literally more information required and better security to log into this “help forum“ than there is to access my account to spend money.
Login to Me Too

Ianrm57
Contributor
Contributor
Has anyone got the same thing anywhere other than eBay?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.