How do I disable one-time codes

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

Recently when logging in, Paypal has started offering me the option of logging in with a one-time SMS code to my phone rather than a password.  This seems incredibly insecure to me and I'd prefer not to have it on my account.  I cannot find any way to disable this when I check my account settings.  I've spoken with half a dozen agents at this point about this, and half have told me it can't be disabled and half told me they'd send me instructions on how to disabled it, but either the instructions never arrived or were not relevant.  How do I go about disabling this feature on my account?

Login to Me Too
102 REPLIES 102

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass, I am not referring to "One Touch".  I am referring to "One Time Passcode" (https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-use-one-time-passcode-to-login-at-check-out-faq45...).  That is what I am trying to disable.

Side note: All these different Paypal login methods are part of what caused confusion between all the agents I've spoken with about this.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sean

Hello @Only1KW, Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble turning off the "One Time Passcode" on your PayPal account. Please click the following link to see how to do this;

How do I turn on or off 2-step verification for PayPal account login?

I hope this helps,

Sean

Login to Me Too

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Seanit seems there is still confusion as to which login mechanism I am referring to.  I am not referring to "2-Step Verification", which requires a one time SMS pass code in addition to a password.  I currently have that feature disabled.  Rather I am referring to "One-Time Passcode", which uses a one time SMS pass code instead of a password to login.  

To clarify, this is the screen that I get when I try and purchase anything recently over PayPal:

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 12.50.23 PM.jpeg

I don't want the option to use a one-time code.  I just want to be forced to log in with a password instead.  Or stated more accurately, I want everyone who attempts to log in using my username to be forced to complete the login with a password only.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Natasha

Hi @Only1KW,

Thank you for your reply and confirming with a screenshot, what you need assistance with. This feature is permanently enabled for the protection of our customers. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

-Natasha
Login to Me Too

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Natashacan you please explain how this feature is "for the protection of our customers"?  My concern with the feature and hence my desire to disable it is that from my perspective, it removes protection from us.  This feature appears to enable someone who steals my phone (or is able to spoof my phone account with a replicated SIM card) to be able to make purchases on my behalf without knowing any of my passwords or having access to any of my other accounts (such as my email account).  I don't understand how removing the requirement to know the password to my account increases my protection.

Login to Me Too

veedub99
Contributor
Contributor

I agree completely  with Only1KW. This is a ridiculous change. It compromises security in a big way. PayPal has to fix this. I will consider abandoning PayPal if they don't allow the user to disable this "feature".

Login to Me Too

duncancmt
New Community Member

I completely agree with the other commenters. This feature makes PayPal less secure, not more secure. Why bother having a password and 2FA code when SIM-swapping is all you need to break into someone's account? I need a way to disable this "feature". I work in cybersecurity and if I had suggested/implemented this, I'd be fired.

Login to Me Too

Ianrm57
Contributor
Contributor
I totally agree, one time passcode is a step backwards in security. Think I’m going to look for other payment options. I also use a prepaid Mastercard for sellers that don’t accept PayPal. Will consider dumping PayPal and going with prepaid Mastercard . Thanks
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.