Closing Account

chetro
New Community Member

Hi all, I want to close my account but it does not let me. I have no financial information linked to my account. 

How do i proceed to close my account if it does not let me even though I am not allowed to use PayPal anymore. I have gone against the guidelines apparently.

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

TaraHall
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly!!! I am convinced they are counting on people not closing Venmo- but, we did instantly!! Their ‘excuse’ was no longer valid- so, they had to craft another lie- “Something’s wrong on our end- we have no timeframe when it will be completed”- I filed a complaint with BBB and received notice PP must respond in 14 days to my complaint- I also filed with two state attorney general offices and FTC.gov- DO NOT let them hijack your threads- I’m convinced an alternative pay system will succeed- Gabpay is one- using Zelle until we move our central banking.
Login to Me Too

phast1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for sharing, I have had all the same excuses and experiences as you. I also filed a complaint at the FTC, so this should get the ball rolling. It is amazing how dangerous this company actually is.

Login to Me Too

Lukeclsacct
Contributor
Contributor

Can't close mine either. They want me to send ID. Yeah right. When I signed up I didn't need it and you aren't getting it now. Can't wait till a govt official picks this up and brings action. At this point I plan to keep trying to close it.  I encourage everyone to keep trying. They have to pay customer support for their time. 

Login to Me Too

JlauBoston
Contributor
Contributor
I tried filling a complaint on the BBB website but after answering some Qs, I was only allowed to leave a review, which I did. I can’t even imagine the combined amount of our precious time we have all has wasted with and because of PayPal.
Login to Me Too

closeaccfoks

I don't use my account since 2015, balance is zero and they won't let me close it. THey say my account has limitations and ask for like 6 official documents (ID, proof of address, tax blabla) to remove limitations and THEN close my account. How dumb is that? I WILL NEVER EVER send an official document to these people.

Let's see what Elon does with Twitter/Binance. I hope some decentralized alternative payment method is created. People need to wake up.

Login to Me Too

AllisonMRhode
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve been trying too and they keep saying I’m under review. I hate them at this point and I mean it. Sick jerks
Login to Me Too

unoy
New Community Member

Clearing Auto Payments did it for me - Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Ericarias777
Contributor
Contributor
Because PayPal customer service help is harder to find them Bigfoot riding a unicorn
Login to Me Too

dreamseeka

I have removed my bank cards, my account is at ZERO...

But they won't let me close it, I have moved to another country, can't change region, so need to delete it.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dreamseeka 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved as customer services only deal with their own countries issues.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.