Closing Account

chetro
New Community Member

Hi all, I want to close my account but it does not let me. I have no financial information linked to my account. 

How do i proceed to close my account if it does not let me even though I am not allowed to use PayPal anymore. I have gone against the guidelines apparently.

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

Maineiacgirl
It’s ridiculous ! I don’t want to do business with A company who is abusing their customers , and I just want to close my account - but they’re holding us hostage now. I’m not interested in their 2022 version of reich ministry of enlightenment.
Login to Me Too

TaraHall
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly! Seven years ago PP was a respectable company- but then Vanguard, BlackRock, SSgA Funds, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price Associates stepped in as major owners- all steeped in WEF crap.
Login to Me Too

Barricade643
Contributor
Contributor
Message and call us button doesn't work. It says I can't close my account. WTF? Close it!!!
Login to Me Too

TaraHall
Contributor
Contributor
It’s unbelievable the extent of lies they will perpetuate to block you from closing your account. The latest ‘trick’ they are using is to claim that shadow accounts exist on your account blocking them from closing it. In my case, they said shadow accounts exist with Venmo. I call Venmo, confirm my account is closed and told their rep that PP said Venmo had a shadow account preventing me from closing my PayPal. She said my account never had a shadow account attached to it. I asked her how she could be certain, she said it would show up on her screen. I took this information back to PP and they don’t know how to respond- I explain I proved there was no reason not to close my account and they just claim “we don’t have the option to close your account”- Juan was told that they are going to lock my account (I vehemently rejected that option) and an agent from the tech department will contact me. But, that’s a lie. I was told 5 days ago a person from tech would contact me in 24 hours- everyday I am told this- complete lies. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, your state’s attorney general.
Login to Me Too

Temp20221013A
PayPal holding people hostage that wanna dump their trifling **bleep**. No use… we want to see this whole company go bye bye.
Login to Me Too

Kotton_love
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I came to close my account also. I went to close account with an error, but after searching more in my account I went to Data/Privacy and at the very bottom you will see delete my data and account and it takes you to the steps. So I'm waiting for mine to be closed. I hope this is helpful to all thats having trouble

Login to Me Too

TaraHall
Contributor
Contributor

You are appreciated! That pathway does not exist on the mobile access- but you can find it through a drop down screen on the main website. We received a notification it may take 30 days to delete our information. It's better than what's been promised by calling customer service, although 2/20+ reps I spoke with were earnestly trying to help! 

Login to Me Too

TaraHall
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry Kotton, it didn’t work out- received a message saying we could not delete our info until our account was closed and their system can’t close our account. I’ll be calling back tomorrow.
Login to Me Too

Kotton_love
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I got the same message ☹️

Login to Me Too

JlauBoston
Contributor
Contributor

I wasnt able to close my PayPal acct either! After multiple attempts via app and website, I reached out to them via their in-house message method, as well as Facebook's messenger, but their automated responses were not helpful at all. I couldnt even find a number or email for their customer service dept via Google. Subsequently, I found their number[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] 

So cust svc asked why i wanted to close my account, I replied bc I dont use it any more. Then I was told that in order to close my PayPal, I would have to close my Venmo acct first, bc they are "sister" companies and that one of them is a "shadow" company blah blah. I know PayPal owns Venmo but wtf? I asked why they'd be willing to risk losing a Venmo cust? If I change over to Cash App or Zelle, then I'd end up closing BOTH venmo and paypal.  Why strategically force people to have both, and not allow one or the other?? It was quite frustrating!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.