Changed Phones. Can't Log In On App Because Data For Authenticator App Wasn't Saved.

Exxeter
Contributor
Contributor

I got a new phone, but the data for my authenticator app didn't survive the transfer.  I was able to log in via the web site, because it provided the alternative of sending a code to my phone by SMS.  Unfortunately the Android PayPal app, doesn't provide that option, so I can't complete the login process.  How can I resolve this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Exxeter
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the solution.  Log into the PayPal website.  There, you have the option to request a code be sent to you via SMS.  Enter it, and go to your profile.  Turn off 2FA.

Then you can log into the app and set up 2FA again.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

Exxeter
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the solution.  Log into the PayPal website.  There, you have the option to request a code be sent to you via SMS.  Enter it, and go to your profile.  Turn off 2FA.

Then you can log into the app and set up 2FA again.

Login to Me Too

Turca
New Community Member
But without the authenticator i can’t even login to do theese steps so this is not a solution
Login to Me Too

Exxeter
Contributor
Contributor

Turca,

When I go to the PayPal website, I have the option of using either the authenticator, or get a text message with the code.  Once I enter the code, I go to my settings and turn off 2FA.  That allows me to use the phone app.  Once I'm logged in on the app, I go back to the computer and set up 2FA.  That produces the QR code to scan with my authenticator.  Alternatively, I could type in the whole plain text key to configure my authenticator.  Hope that helpts.

Login to Me Too

Rio265

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.