Cannot log in to mobile app on iPhone 14

Temp20230525DU
Contributor
Contributor

I have used the PayPal mobile app for many years on iPhones 10,11,12,13, no problem.  Recently, I upgraded my iPhone 13 to an iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB.  At Apple, the iPhone 14 was setup using an iCloud backup (from 13), which transferred everything from the 13 to the 14 and setup the 14 exactly the same as the 13 (I've used this method on all upgrades with no issues).  I then went through each important app to configure/setup on the 14 like bank. credit card, etc. (while still at Apple).  I am certain this included the PayPal app.  However, I am now questioning myself given the issue here?

Since upgrade, I have purchased items online using PayPal.  When selecting pay on merchant's site, I’m taking to the PayPal login page, I enter my credentials and select login. PayPal then displays the 2FA page.  I entered the code from my Authenticator app, and everything works fine - payment is made.  This REMAINS to be the case.

The same credentials and 2FA work perfectly on laptop and browser [so they are definitely correct and working].

However, on trying to log in to my account using the mobile app, it does not work.  The app opens, the login page appears, I enter my credentials.  The app then tries to display either the reCAPTCHA or 2FA page.  This does NOT work.  Instead, I get a blank white page with a black X top left corner, and that is it - nothing else happens.  Pressing the X takes me back to the login page.

I ensured iOS and PayPal app up to date.  I forced restarted the iPhone.  I deleted the app and reinstalled from scratch and then restarted the iPhone.  Nothing worked.

I contacted PayPal - they referred the issue to their Technical Team who, they said, would get back to me.  They never did.

Shortly after, Apple released an iOS update, which I automatically installed (I always keep my iOS current).  To my surprise, this fixed the issue with my PayPal app - I was able to log in to my account several times. Happy days......

However, after receiving email notification of a message from PayPal earlier today, I went to the mobile app to read.  To my dismay and frustration, the login issue is back - exactly as before.

So, I have made sure my iOS is current which it is (16.3.1).  I deleted the PayPal including all data, and reinstalled.  I restated my iPhone.  All to no avail.  Again, I have no issues logging in to account on laptop/browser using same credentials and 2FA.

So now, I am not convinced that the update to the iOS was responsible for fixing the issue.  I think this is something at PayPal or in their app?  If the update had resolved the issue, it would not have returned !!

So, what is known .... I know for a fact my credentials are correct and work on a mobile payment using iPhone 14, and online using laptop and browser.  I know for a fact that my 2FA works on a mobile payment using iPhone 14, and online using laptop and browser.  I know for a fact my iOS is the latest.  I know for a fact the PayPal app has been deleted and reinstalled ensuring the latest version.  I know for a fact that I do not see this issue with any other app requiring 2FA.  I now for a fact that my iPhone has been (effectively) rebooted several times.  I know for a fact that this never happened on iPhone 10,11,12,13 - only, and since, iPhone 14.  I know for a fact that the latest iOS, which appeared to initially resolve the issue, actually did not resolve the issue.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can shed some light on this and/or resolve it? 

Many thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Blackcatswiskas
New Community Member
Me neither I have reinstalled etc mine goes to login page you add your details press go and it looks like it’s logging in then goes straight back to the login screen. What a pain. Any solo uti on yet?
Login to Me Too

Temp20230525DU
Contributor
Contributor
Have you 2FA enabled on your PalPal account? If so, this is 100% the issue. If you remove 2FA, the problem is resolved. PayPal have promised numerous times to get back to me on this but have failed to do so every time. The strange thing is - it resolves itself for a while and then returns WITHOUT any changes to iPhone 14 iOS or apps, WITHOUT any warning, and for no apparent reason whatsoever. How can this issue just magically disappear and then, as magically, reappear? This was never an issue on the iPhone 13, and previous iPhones. I have spoken extensively to Apple on this issue and they are pretty clear it's a PayPal issue. However, PayPal have been informed of this for months now and seemingly are uninterested in fixing. Which suprises me - having to switch off 2FA is a security issue, which PayPal always claim to be a high priority. Doesn't seem so in this case though? If you haven't got 2FA enabled, then I'm not sure it is the same issue as mine? But at a guess, I would say it's related.
Login to Me Too

Flycs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm facing the same issue and behaviour using an iPhone 13 with latest iOS.

I tried several solution proposals I found, so far all to no avail:
- Uninstall the app, re-install
- Use 5G instead of WiFi
- Deactivate MS Defender
- Deactivate 2FA, then change password, then activate 2FA again (I noticed that my old password contained symbols which are no longer allowed, i.e. colon `,` and period `.`)
- Switch default browser from Chrome to Safari

Only workaround that works is to disable 2FA completely. Since I don't want to put my account at risk, I uninstalled the app and use the mobile website instead.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.