Authenticator sign in problems.

Lourens
Contributor
Contributor

Having trouble to sign in to my account. My two step verification app and account failed and now I can't gain access to my account as I can't get the authenticator code from the authenticator/ verification app. What can I do to gain access to my account again without the authenticator.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @Lourens,

Uh oh - if you're having trouble with verification while logging in, you'll need to contact us by phone, Facebook, or Twitter so that we can assist. Hopefully the issue is resolved soon!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Ianwoodside9
New Community Member

I'm having the same issue. A chat box appears, I explain the problem & I get a message back thanking me - absolutely no help at all! Still can't log in to my account!

Login to Me Too

Freya1612
New Community Member

Thank you for this. Recently I was testing something on my phone and Pc as well, which resulted in manual time settings. I didn't realize it would block me to log to my account. Once I set both to automatic settings, 2-step verification works again. 

Login to Me Too

QporscheQ
New Community Member

This fixed it for me.  My phone time was set manually.  When I switched it back to Set Automatically the code started working again.

Login to Me Too

pslambe
New Community Member

I encountered this two factor authorisation issue too. Paypal would supposedly send me an SMS which I never receive.

I could not log in to Australian Account because I could get an SMS to unlock the security. There is no way you can phone PayPal in OZ. There is no contact email or live chat.

I recently updated my iPhone from an 8Plus to a 13Pro.

This what I had to do to solve the log in problem.

First I shut down the iPhone 13 and removed its Sim card. I transferred to SIM card back into the old iPhone 8, which I still had, fortunately.

After powering up the iPhone I then logged into PayPal on my computer and fixed up the broken passwords. and then logged in with my new password. PayPal now sent an SMS which appeared in my old phone. I was now able to use this sms to login on the PayPal app on the phone.

I needed to remove my old mobile number from PayPal, but you can not do this unless you have another mobile number.

I then added an old Aldi Mobile number which has actually expired. I did not verify the number in PayPal because I no longer have it active.

I then set this Aldi number as the Primary number.

This enabled me to remove my original iPhone number. It appears PayPal not only uses the phone number but also the phone ID as part of its security.

Now I swapped the sim card back to my new phone and logged in to PayPal again. The original number was no longer there so I added it again, on the iPhone 3 and got the sms to verify the phone.

I am now able to login in to PayPal on the new iPhone as well as in Chrome and Safari on my Mac.

BUT.

Two factor verification still will not work so I have turned it off. I used a password manage (1Password) to choose a very secure password.

Complicated!! 

I would ditch PayPal except it is still useful in eBay.

PayPal's lack of meaningful support is just criminal!! IMHO.

Login to Me Too

JayWijaya
New Community Member

If you use Google Authenticator, try to sync the time, go to setting to do that

Login to Me Too

alibaba_nbg
New Community Member

Thanks for your post. The sync sovled my problem with the google authenticator login.

Login to Me Too

sheerhulk
New Community Member

I don't get the text messages either. Sometimes the app offers  a phone call, sometimes it doesn't. So i have had to use PayPal only for existing recurring transactions and  over time  that will go. The site is so secure that not even I can use my own account! Shame, the service makes sense in concept.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.