Asked for phone number every time I log in

Hawthorn93
New Community Member

Hiya,

I keep being asked for my phone number to verify myself every time I log in.  It says it will only ask once, but it keeps asking again.

I do have a separate PayPal which I intend to use for primarily business purposes and not for personal, which has the same phone number.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Hawthorn93

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I can understand how being asked for a phone number when you login can be a bit frustrating. PayPal does this to maintain security on our user's accounts through 2-factor authentication. You should be able to add your phone number to both your Business and Personal account without issue. You may want to look into setting up another 2-factor authentication to see if that helps. Otherwise, you're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams for assistance as well. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

LenR1
Contributor
Contributor

JonK I am a Canadian living in an area without cellular coverage so have only a standard landline and computer.  With PayPal updates I can no longer login without calling customer service directly and have them push it through under their 'Overwatch' using 'Forgot Password' link.

As landlines will not accept texts and PayPal won't use landline voice generated numbers or email sent numbers to verify - without mobile access what do you suggest for 2-Step Verification?   

Today after getting me logged in Customer Service informed me:

• to bypass security by staying logged in and never close my browser.  Which of course is inadvisable and leaves my computer open to hacking.   AND JUST TO CONFIRM STAYING LOGGED IN . . . DID NOT WORK . . .  PayPal logged me out for inactivity and put me back into the DEATH LOOP AGAIN - demanding my mobile number for 2-Step Verification before proceeding.  Also any internet blips, power outages, computer updates, browser cleaning for security would have shut me out anyway.
  • Said this is a 'NEW' issue - but this has been going on about a year.
  • Said adding verification numbers through to my email or landline 'automated voice' number verification methods are not available.
  • Kept suggesting buying a mobile was the best alternative which does nothing for me living in an area WITHOUT CELLULAR service.
  • Rep suggested using the MOBILE APP 'Authenticator App' - which of course won't work without cell service/device. 
  • Said nothing about the 'Security Key' option on your 2-Step Verification page.  COULD this be an option?
  • Do not want to use "auto login, including OneTouch" as I do not want unsafe access to my account.  Perhaps I don't understand this correctly though?

I did find a back-door into PayPal occasionally but don't like that security can be bypassed this way so don't wish to use it.

Best Regards,

Len

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.