lost phone / can't log in due to 2-factor authentication

razalas_lee
Contributor
Contributor

I lost my phone and had to get a new number. Because of two-factor authentication, I can't log in. It's very hard to request help without logging in! I had to create a new account with a different email address just to post this message to the community.

It's good that PayPal is not forcing their employees to come to the office to answer the customer support lines, but can't they have at least SOME staff working from home to assist us??

I DM'd AskPayPal on Twitter to say that I can't log in and they sent me an automatic response urging me to log in to request help on PayPal.com. This is hell. If anyone has any advice, I would be grateful. 

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

ramberroya
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi, What is 2-step verification? You can add an extra layer of security to your PayPal account by enabling 2-step verification for log in. Once this feature is activated, we’ll send you a unique, random 6-digit access code each time you try to log in. Simply enter this code to access your account. There are two ways to set up 2-step verification. You can use an authenticator app (like Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator) or you can ask us to send text messages to your mobile phone. Here's how to set it up: Go to your Settings. Click Security. Click Set Up next to “2-step verification.” Choose to receive a text or use an authenticator app, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your phone or authenticator app. Set up a back-up method in case you can’t access your primary cell or authenticator app. Click Done to activate 2-step verification. You can deactivate 2-step verification at any time: Go to your Settings. Click Security. Click Update next to “2-step verification.” Click Turn Off next to 2-step verification, then the Turn It Off button. For added protection, you can also add 2-step verification to other devices. Since you can no longer access the phone number. You may want to set up new email account and create a brand new paypal account and you will link the phone number you have access to. Hope this will resolve your issue. Thank you,
Login to Me Too

razalas_lee
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion to create a new PayPal account. It does not solve my problem, since I still can't access money sent to my old account.

Login to Me Too

Cjenre
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same problem ,Im trying to login to my old account , so I clicked forgot password, theres 2 options to send by phone or email , so I chose email, typed in code and then now its asking for me to also verify by mobile , which is my old mobile number ... not sure how to bypass it.

Login to Me Too

Kungfubob
New Community Member
Did you ever resolve this? I haven’t managed yet
Login to Me Too

razalas_lee
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but not in a way that allows me to give helpful advice. I eventually received a replacement to my original phone and was able to recapture the phone number, allowing me to sign into my original PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Jsonryan
New Community Member

Holy hell...locked out of my business account. Un **bleep** believable

Login to Me Too

Maris3
New Community Member

WHY IS PAYPAL NOT HELPING US???? I dont have the old phone number what the hell!!! What should i do?? the phone is gone but i know my passwords and everything!! This is outrageous !!! Shame on you paypal!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maris3 

Not sure its paypal fault that you didn't read the message that has been on all paypal accounts for months telling you to update your mobile.

Or why you would not keep contact information up to date on a legal financial account anyway???

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

1Woodpecker1

Somehow logging in via the forum lets you login?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.