Why does paypal need my mobile number by the end of next month?

RonnieTheSecond
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I rarely use my very old phone, believe it or not but I only ever use PP via my PC. PP already knows my bank details and my name so, why does Paypal need my mobile number by the end of next month?

I received an email from PP with the following statement:

[quote]

We need you to please update this by28 January 2022 (+60 days), otherwise the functionality of your PayPal account will be impacted.

It should only take a few minutes to complete.  To keep using your account and all its features, please:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click on the notification icon.
  3. Update your details.

[end quote]

Only when I am clicking on the notification icon it becomes apparent that it is my mobile number PP wants.

The message says the account functionality will be impacted but it fails to explain in what way exactly; it may not have any impacts for PC users is what I am thinking.

Does anyone know in what way my account will be affected if I do not update this?

Thanks for reading, have a nice day,

Cheers

Ron

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonnieTheSecond 

No, its normally if you use another device / IP address etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonnieTheSecond 

You need to have a mobile (not landline) phone issued in your country and registered in just your name verified on your Paypal account.
Paypal are using mobile phones for i.d requirements for logging in and withdrawal funds for extra security measures.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

RonnieTheSecond
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thank You for your reply,

I have one more question;

Does this mean that for every time I will use PP to pay for anything that some confirmation code is going to be sent to my mobile first and it will not work without?

Hmm, that is actually two questions disguised as one.

Thanks in advance, Have a great weekend,

Cheers

Ron

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonnieTheSecond 

No, its normally if you use another device / IP address etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

RonnieTheSecond
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thanks again, I will leave things unchanged and see what will happen, if anything at all, if I continue to use PP the way I have been since day dot.

Have a great day

cheers

Ron

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.