Unable to get past PSD2 as no mobile signal

MrsSG
Contributor
Contributor
My elderly relative cannot access her paypal as she is being asked for a mobile number for PSD2. She has no mobile and there is no signal anywhere near their house. What can she do? Many thanks for your help.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrsSG 

Does she have a computer with a router?

If not how does she access paypal?

If she does have a router then she has wifi.

If she has wifi she can recieve texts if she gets a mobile phone.

Then all she does if she gets an EE phone is to get the vendor to set it up for receiving texts via wifi ie her ROUTER instead of via a signal....it happens automatically if no signal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrsSG 

I have no signal either where I am, but always used wi-fi phoning, problem solved.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MrsSG
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my relative has no way of making a call except by land line.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrsSG 

To use paypal you need to have a mobile phone for the security codes.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MrsSG
Contributor
Contributor
Up to now, the security codes go via the land line phone. She has managed fine so far but now can’t get past this current PSD2 thing. Sadly, there seems no way round it - none of us get a mobile signal in or near the house. Sadly it seems she cannot now get to the funds in her PayPal account.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrsSG 

Again why does she not get a mobile phone and use wifi phoning???

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MrsSG
Contributor
Contributor
She is 90 - a mobile phone is very difficult for her. She has a very basic one (big buttons etc) but it has no internet capability. I do appreciate you trying to help - but a mobile is out of the question for her and I’m struggling as my knowledge isn’t that good. I wouldn’t know how to do a wifi call.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrsSG 

You don't need to ''do'' a wifi call.

If she has the internet then she has wifi surely?

So all you have to do is get her a cheap wi-fi phone (EE do them) so she can receive the 4 digit codes from paypal on logging on to her paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MrsSG
Contributor
Contributor
I’m so sorry - I am struggling with this myself. She doesn’t use any Wi-Fi things and, tbh, I’ve never made a wifi call so I don’t really understand how it works. Up to now she has had a 4 digit no. appear on the screen then puts this into the landline when it rings. She has now been asked to use a mobile but can’t get a signal. I do not know how a call would get through on a mobile as there is no signal. Not sure I would know how to set up paypal to make a ‘Wi-Fi call’. I realise the younger generation must be incredulous at this total lack of knowledge but none of us has ever benefited from anyone teaching us. I do appreciate the efforts you have made to help. I’m even struggling with asking this question - each time I want to see your reply it takes me an age to even find it! Then, when I find it I have to log in again - which takes me off somewhere else and I have to search for it again. Yep, you are having to deal with a computer idiot! 😊
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrsSG 

Does she have a computer with a router?

If not how does she access paypal?

If she does have a router then she has wifi.

If she has wifi she can recieve texts if she gets a mobile phone.

Then all she does if she gets an EE phone is to get the vendor to set it up for receiving texts via wifi ie her ROUTER instead of via a signal....it happens automatically if no signal.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.