Should I change my password?

SuzanneF2
Contributor
Contributor

Someone is attempting to access my a/c whilst I’m asleep and the code is sent by text to my phone but they do not have access to that so therefore cannot access my a/c. Do I need to change my password?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @SuzanneF2,

Thank you for your post. The information that was given by @giri123 is correct only when you think that someone has committed identity theft with your personal information. I'm sorry if you were alarmed by that response. I want to clarify to set your mind at ease.

If you have received messages that someone is trying to access your account but they have been unsuccessful, your password is likely not at risk. Making sure to check your account for unauthorized activity is key. However, changing your password periodically is always advised, and now is as good a time as any!

I hope this helps clarify!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

giri123
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @SuzanneF2, Thank you for contacting PayPal support. I understand you are concerned that someone is trying to access your account and you can't access your account now and would like to know if you need to change your password. If you suspect that someone has stolen your personal information, it's critical to act as quickly as possible to minimize potential harm to your financial reputation. Here's what we suggest: 1) Change your passwords and review accounts, 2) Contact your financial institutions immediately and 3) Report it to law enforcement. To regain access to your account and to report the issue you are experiencing, I suggest you to please give us a call and speak to our customer service team. You can find our customer service number on the "Help & Contact" section on the paypal.com website. I hope this helps! Thank you. Regards, Girish
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @SuzanneF2,

Thank you for your post. The information that was given by @giri123 is correct only when you think that someone has committed identity theft with your personal information. I'm sorry if you were alarmed by that response. I want to clarify to set your mind at ease.

If you have received messages that someone is trying to access your account but they have been unsuccessful, your password is likely not at risk. Making sure to check your account for unauthorized activity is key. However, changing your password periodically is always advised, and now is as good a time as any!

I hope this helps clarify!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

SuzanneF2
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you @PayPal_Olivia that’s really helpful. I have not noticed anything suspicious in my account and it all looks normal to me. I will change my password periodically as you suggest. Thanks for the help!!! All the best. Suzanne
Login to Me Too

SuzanneF2
Contributor
Contributor
Hi @girl123, thanks for the info, but nobody accessed my account and I am not locked out. I noticed the code sent by text on two mornings (when I awoke) and of course this meant the person trying to access was unable to do that as they had no access to my phone. So I feel secure and nothing has been taken or compromised. Thanks.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.