Paypal sending marketing emails against my settings

Temp20220109
Contributor
Contributor

My email notifications have always been to opt out of all marketing emails, but PayPal just started sending them to me regularly. How do I stop them if my notifications are still set to receive no emails?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Annie_02
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Temp20220109 

I understand that you are unable to stop the notification that are receiving from PayPal. Please click here  so you can make the account changes and stop the emails that you are receiving. 

Please contact us via phone or chat support if you have any query we are here to assist you. 

Thanks, 

Annie. 

Login to Me Too

Temp20220109
Contributor
Contributor

Those settings are already set to receive no emails, and yet they keep coming. 

Login to Me Too

SnarkHunt
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having exactly the same problem.  The answer didn't help because (as the original question stated) my account is already set up to not get any marketing emails.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @SnarkHunt and everyone, 

Welcome! I'm sorry to hear you're receiving unwanted emails. Just in case they are not from PayPal, here's a Help Center article on How to spot and report a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website. If the emails do end up being from PayPal, and your settings are updated correctly, I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page for further assistance. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

SnarkHunt
Contributor
Contributor

I did read the article and the emails I've received do appear to be from PayPal according to the criteria.

I've hit the Contact button before and it was not helpful at all.  First I can't find a way to ask my question.  All of the hints are about financial issues (not being paid, fraud, etc.).  Second, I tried the PayPal assistant and eventually got to the point where the assistant did a handoff to a customer support agent.  But the first time I tried that I never heard back.  I'm trying it again right now with little hope of contact.

The Resolution Center is not helpful.  It asks if I want to report a problem but that problem has to be about one of my previous transactions. 

Ask the Community - well that's what this is and so far it hasn't helped.

I called and the person I talked to said there's no record of the two Overstock coupon marketing emails that I received.  Yet the  emails I received from PayPal both followed all of the guidelines as legitimate.  My first and last name were at the top.  Any link I put my cursor on started with https://www.paypal.com.  (I did not click on any of these links to follow them through.)

I will forward the second email to spoof@paypal.com and see what happens.

I will say this - the only irritation about calling was that I had to listen to a recorded speech about how to spot a phishing email.  Which I'd already read in the above article.  Once I said "Representative" a couple of times there was very little wait time.  Kudos to PayPal for that.

Login to Me Too

Lynwashere
I came here because I'm having the same problem. I am getting these emails which appear to be legit, not phishing/scam, and my settings are NOT subscribed and have been that way since I opened the account. Ridiculously annoying.
Login to Me Too

larea
New Community Member

same here.  It would be very helpful if the Resolution Center would allow sending in an issue not related to a transaction.

Login to Me Too

fgpfgp
Contributor
Contributor

Not only do you have to turn off all marketing notifications, but also the "We’ll let you know when you...Have new or expiring Store Cash" notifications.

Login to Me Too

SnarkHunt
Contributor
Contributor

Two things about turning off "We’ll let you know when you...Have new or expiring Store Cash" notifications.

First - according to my account preferences I have that turned on for SMS, not for emails.  I was receiving marketing emails.

Second - that makes no sense.  (OK I get that things don't always have to make sense but might accomplish what I want but still...)

BTW I have not received any of these irritating emails since I posted in January, 2022.  I don't know why this is - perhaps this was a Paypal bug that has since been fixed?  (Or maybe I'm trying to convince myself the problem has gone away.)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.