No mobile phone number. What do I do?

tamale0
New Community Member

Paypal is now forcing me to add a mobile phone number.  I've been using google voice for years, and I don't have a true mobile phone number.  What are my options?  I've become pretty reiliant on paypal, for eBay shopping, banking, and sending money to friends.

I am a U.S. citizen and resident, but I spend most of my time abroad working for the U.S. Government.  I don't want to have to get a U.S. phone plan that sits idle 11 months of the year.  I think I'd rather close my paypal account, if that's my only option to maintain it.

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@trag 

Not sure why anyone would NOT have a mobile phone to be honest, brill for security reasons.

You don't have to have a contract just a cheap pay as you go phone would do the job.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

trag
Contributor
Contributor

Folks who don't have cell phones have their reasons.  Could be different for everyone.

I tried a cell phone and I don't like them for several reasons.

For vendors to assume everyone has one is irritating.

I can't say it's foolish, because they can probably afford to dispense with that part of the population if they like.

Login to Me Too

Fishnet
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a phone either & it's not because I'm too CHEAP.

It is because I am handicapped & cannot operate a smartphone.

I would like an answer to the same question.

"No phone number. What do I do?"

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Fishnet
Contributor
Contributor

I'm handicapped and can't use a cellphone.

@kernowlass

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fishnet 

Not my problem to be honest.

Just telling you that paypal requires you to have a mobile phone now to log in when they randomly check.

Also states I personally would not be without one and advised you can get a cheap one that's pay as you go if you want to.  

If you are handicapped and can't use one then you may not be able to use a paypal account, that would be for paypal to sort out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Fishnet
Contributor
Contributor

I'd love to have a phone but I'm handicapped and can't operate a phone.

By the way, I am using my email as confirmation.

It works!
Login to Me Too

Fishnet
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal / @PayPal.ca claims there is no secure way to use email as a method of confirmation.

There is as many other vendors that I deal with use it.

They send a code to my email & I must enter it to verify who I am...and away we go!

Seems to work...no problems.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.