Keeps coming up ireland but I live in Northern Ireland can't get into account

Dessiemc
New Community Member
Showing ireland not uk
Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

MrsJillyJ
New Community Member
Me too and then charging me to convert from euros to stirling. Really annoying!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dessiemc 

@MrsJillyJ 

Sounds as if you both opened paypal accounts for IRELAND instead of paypal accounts registered in the UK.

Suggest if thats the case you close the Irish account and open a UK one as paypal is country specific.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gabhan32
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, this is fresh but the field of entry required is NATIONALITY. When, by right it should be country of residence or should go so far as not even have it. This is a problem for people from Northern Ireland who can identidy as Irish legitimately. I have this issue presently, if I withdraw the funds it generates it in euro. This would depreciate further when arriving at my account due to a further currency conversion. How do you get around that without suffering amy loss?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gabhan32 

Nationality means the nation you are living in.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gabhan32
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, that’s a frank opinion not advice on a resolve but thanks anyway. My opinion, is ‘what nationality are you?’. The fact of the matter is, this is causing an issue and understanding what PayPal means by ‘nationality’ is now historical in my situation as my account exists with money in it. So perhaps a descriptor in the Entry field should highlight PayPal’s definition of ‘nationality’ ? Nevertheless, by the crunch of it, I have to cash out in euro and delete this account and then claim myself as British as I live in Northern Ireland. Suppose that’s the benefits of draining the exchequer, 2 driving licenses, 2 passports and a middle road in trading between Eu and uk.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gabhan32 

Its not an opinion its a FACT.

If you were born in India but living in the UK (for eg) then your NATIONALITY according to paypal is UK as that is where you are living......not rocket science to understand, so, you're welcome !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gabhan32
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks. As there is no specific detail on the website section where one adds their details to register it is an opinion. Q1 If you are British living in Northern Ireland, what nationality are you? Ok, Q2 if you are Irish living in Northern Ireland, what nationality are you? You may answer British. If you do then you need to put that answer out to the consensus. As to the matter at hand, which you state is ‘not rocket science to understand’, this is an important point PayPal, I have to say there are people who define themselves as Irish, born, bred and living in Northern Ireland, and if they are asked on a question field for their nationality, they will certainly claim Ireland. Get this, PayPal and your good self, there is no where to be read that “byclicking on nationality you are stating the country you currently live in and deem your account currency as that of the nationality you are basing this PayPal account from’. So, understandable when told of the requirements. Not so simple when it’s a basic question that is deceptive in the nature of slowing down the flow of cash money from a to b. When I send this information to consumer council I’ll by happy to forward you their reply. Thanks for reading, and btw, you are very good at what you do in your spare time. 👏👏
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gabhan32 

When you click to REGISTER to open a paypal account then you scroll down and select the COUNTRY YOU ARE LIVING IN to open an account in that country. Paypal is COUNTRY SPECIFIC so you register a paypal account in the country you are living in.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gabhan32
Contributor
Contributor
Nope. The first scroll bar is nationality. I’d send a screen dump if I could. The fact of the matter is that this is misleading.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.