I can only enter one number of Authenticator security code but sms code works normally

shaybisc
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm on a pc trying to get the second factor to log in. That's always been by getting a security code from Authenticator on my phone. In the last few days I can only enter the first number. I then have to get a code another way, by sms, and I can enter all 6 numbers. Weird. Anyone else having this problem?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Joel651
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, started a couple of days ago. I still have an old stand-alone authenticator that works but the battery is about to run out. Hopefully they get this glitch worked out.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @shaybisc, @Joel651

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you're running into some issues logging into your accounts with the 2 Factor Authentication. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache, cookies, and history yet? If that doesn't work, you may want to try reaching out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page. From there, you can click Password and Account Access, then Login Problems, and then follow the available contact options at the bottom of that help article. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

shaybisc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I will try that.

Login to Me Too

shaybisc
Contributor
Contributor

I turned off 2FA from Paypal and removed Paypal from Authenticator. Then I turned on 2FA and added Paypal to Authenticator again. That seems to have worked.

Login to Me Too

Joel651
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip but it didn't work for me. Very strange. I cleared all my cookies and history, turned off authentication, removed paypal from the authenticator app and then added everything back but still the same problem. I even tried another browser, etc - no joy. In the meantime I'm using sms authentication and that works fine but I don't know why I can't enter more than one character if I want to use an authentication app. I'm glad you found a work-around that worked for you.

Login to Me Too

guidow
New Community Member

I have a similar problem (started some time ago) - after entering the first digit of the Authenticator security code, the input field loses focus and I cannot continue typing.

However, when I left click on the input field, I can enter the remaining digits and get logged in.

When I choose SMS as second factor, the input field for the code works as expected.

Tried both on Chrome and Firefox.

Login to Me Too

Joel651
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip! I found out that I could enter one digit, click my mouse to the right of that digit, and then I could enter the rest of the numbers from the authenticator app. I wouldn't have tried to click my mouse again if it wasn't for your tip - thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.