How to close an account with a balance?

opentoclose
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to close my account. My account contains a very small balance that I am unable to withdraw. I am not willing to link a bank account to PayPal in order to withdraw my less than $3 balance, and the option to request a paper check by mail does not work for me (it just sends me to a screen to link a bank account). I am perfectly willing to forfeit this negligible balance in order to close my account.

How can I get this account closed, with or without withdrawing a minimal balance by check?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Annie_02
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @opentoclose 

Please reconsider! If there's a chance that you might want to use PayPal in the future, it's a good idea to keep your account open. You can't close your account if there are limitations, unresolved issues, or a balance. You do have the option to send money to your friend or family member and get that money from them. Here's the link to close the account

The best way to resolve this issue is by contacting our PayPal customer support directly.

Regards.

Annie. 

Login to Me Too

opentoclose
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Annie_02 ,

Unfortunately I am also unable to send the small balance in this account to anyone else. Attempting to send money gives me a request for a payment method. The balance is listed on my dashboard as asking me to "Accept the Money". Clicking "Accept the Money" prompts me to transfer it to a bank (I am not giving PayPal my banking details to receive less than $3) or to "Keep it in PayPal". Clicking "Keep it in PayPal" brings me to a page requesting my date of birth and social security number - I am not giving either of those to PayPal to receive less than $3.

I simply want the account closed and to forfeit this money that I am unable to accept or reject.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@opentoclose 

If you don't ''accept'' the money then it should time out at 30 days and return to the sender, then you can close your account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

opentoclose
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thank you for the idea, but this payment has been sitting unaccepted since August 10th, 2021.

If I attempt to 'Report a Problem' to the resolution center, and select this transaction, that fails, reporting:

"We're sorry, it looks like something went wrong on our end.

Please try reporting the transaction again."

This is a lot to jump through to simply close an unwanted account. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.