Disable shopping notifications

kevinahdean
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email this morning with this text:

You have a new PayPal Shopping notification for <merchant>. Click on the bell icon on the PayPal website or mobile app to view details.

How do I disable shopping notifications? I can't find anything in settings that allows me to do so.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kevinahdean
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but I already checked, and there's no option to disable shopping notifications there. I dug into it a little more, and I found that:

• there's a link in the email to take me directly to my PayPal Shopping notifications; and
  • from my account, the option is on the "Data & Privacy" tab in the "Manage your privacy settings" section, not the "Notifications" tab.

I think the option is in the wrong place. I suggest you take this up with the development team, as both you and I went immediately to the wrong tab.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi kevinahdean, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum, and welcome as a new member!

Here's how to update your PayPal Mobile notification preferences on the PayPal website:

1. Click the Settings icon next to "Log out".
  2. Click Notifications at the top of the page.
  3. Select the notifications you want to receive by clicking the phone icon next to the notification.

Regardless of the preferences you select, you'll always receive an email notification for a PayPal Mobile payment.

Here’s how to update your Notification preferences on the PayPal app:

1. Tap your profile photo.
  2. Tap Notifications.

If you enable notifications, you can also pick and choose which notifications to leave on or turn off.

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kevinahdean
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but I already checked, and there's no option to disable shopping notifications there. I dug into it a little more, and I found that:

• there's a link in the email to take me directly to my PayPal Shopping notifications; and
  • from my account, the option is on the "Data & Privacy" tab in the "Manage your privacy settings" section, not the "Notifications" tab.

I think the option is in the wrong place. I suggest you take this up with the development team, as both you and I went immediately to the wrong tab.

Login to Me Too

DLOG
New Community Member
I also received one of these notifications but I have never transacted with the merchant named. What does this mean? Thank you.
Login to Me Too

haeliam
Contributor
Contributor

Hello: the solution proposed by 'PayPal_Sibhan2' does not work for my business account.  I have received half a dozen of these shopping notification emails from PayPal for two different businesses - 'Simons' and 'Harry <removed>'.  Today I received a reminder about a Simons email from a week ago, as follows:

SUBJECT: Reminder: You have a new notification from PayPal

SENDER: <The '<removed>' email address>

BODY: PayPal Shopping notification for Simons

You have a new PayPal Shopping notification for Simons. Click on the bell icon on the PayPal website or mobile app to view details.                                   

The FOOTER includes this message: "This email was sent to <'My business email address'> because your preferences are set to receive PayPal Shopping notifications. Update your preference here."

Clicking on the "Update your preferences here" link takes me to the PayPal login page.  After logging into my business account there is no option to turn-off shopping notifications.

Are these legitimate messages?  If so, how can they be stopped?

Login to Me Too

kevinahdean
Contributor
Contributor

Is the option available to you under the "Data & Privacy" tab in the "Manage your privacy settings" section?

Login to Me Too

haeliam
Contributor
Contributor

I am receiving the offers via the email address for my PayPal Business acccount and which does not have a Data & Privacy tab. In contrast, my Personal PayPal account (for which I use a different email address) does have a "Data & Privacy" tab and "Manage your privacy settings" options, including the ability to turn-off "PayPal Shopping" and stop receiving exclusive offers.

So it begs the question - why doesn't PayPal (@PayPal_Siobhan2) offer privacy settings for Business accounts? And how do I stop the offers?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @haeliam,

Welcome back! If you have a Business Account, you'll find the option to turn off "News and promotions" nested under "Account Settings" > "Notifications" after you hover over your name in the upper right hand corner. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

haeliam
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jon: My account has had "News and promotions" notifications turned-off (see screenshot below) since I first set it up, so that is not the causing the problem or providing a solution.  In fact, I received another offer today  - "PayPal Shopping notification for Harry <removed>" - that was sent to my business email address.

PayPal - Notifications - News & Promotions Settings.jpg

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@haeliam, Thanks for confirming that! At this point I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams for further assistance. You can reach Customer Support by clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website. They're also available through Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message. 

Best Wishes,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.