Close account

2CloseMyAccount
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to close this account. I haven't used this paypal account since 2012, yet you've messaged me lately telling me that you'll begin to charge me for inactivity (wtf??). Trying to close my account has proven futile. I'm being redirected to a page asking me to contact support, but clicking on contacting support further redirects me to a page asking me to update my personal phone number due to PS2 Regulations. 

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ABUSIVE ON YOUR PART! I don't want anything else to do with your company. I want my account closed, deleted, completely purged, and have GDPR regulations to back me on my request. Also, I object to your mandatory arbitration clause. I'm in the process of contacting my lawyer due to this issue. It's completely unacceptable to continue to request data from me and not allow me to contact support, close my account or delete my information. You have no e-mail listed on your website! No post mail information! Nobody is available for live chat! 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

2CloseMyAccount
Contributor
Contributor

I'll also have you know that you're completely outside all known regulations and laws. I never accepted or signed any contract with your company which stipulated inactivity fees. Your terms of service are not legally binding if outside the law, and are required to enforce the law, not circumvent or add to it. Silent consent is unlawful and I never provided my informed consent to your new terms of service.

Login to Me Too

AliShibaz
Contributor
Contributor

Ever since my PayPal acct was hacked 2 years ago and people began withdrawing money directly from my bank account, I have struggled to get my PayPal acct closed and deleted. But PayPal treats me like I am some kind of criminal and will not close my account.

Ultimately, I had to close my bank account and open an account at a different bank.

Now Paypal is sending these ridiculous threatening emails saying they will begin to charge me for NOT using my PayPal account.

I never want anything more to do with PayPal. I wonder how they will get any money from me since they no longer know my bank account.

Please delete my PayPal account. I never want anything to do with PayPal again. I get all the service I need by using a credit card and if I ever get hacked, I know the bank will help me more than PayPal ever did.

Login to Me Too

2CloseMyAccount
Contributor
Contributor

I advise you to get up to date with the laws in your country and/or contact a lawyer in order to start legal proceedings. I am in the process of doing so myself. Paypal is way off the mark at this point and acting more like a shady entity than a reputable and trusted platform provider. Make sure to withdraw from their abusive mandatory arbitration clause.

Login to Me Too

AliShibaz
Contributor
Contributor

Ever since my PayPal account was hacked, I detect an unpleasant "smell" from PayPal. There are several examples.

First they make it very clear they want people to phone them. But when I try to phone them, I get this long rambling message which is just a description of all of their capabilities. Essentially, this is just a huge advertisement for PayPal. I stayed on the phone waiting for 15 minutes before I gave up.

But the recording says that if customers grow tired of waiting, they can always post a message directly to PayPal. I tried that several times when I tried to close my account. But they refused to close my account. They never admitted that they don't close PayPal accounts. But they just gave me ridiculous reasons why I could not close the account every time I called.

My experience in trying to close my account seems to me to be similar to trying to get my money back from someone who scammed me. They say they can't refund my money, but if I will just send them more money, they will solve all my problems.

I'm not saying PayPal is any kind of scammer. But my experience is that they will just not close PayPal accounts. They will give you some many ridiculous reasons why they cannot close your PayPal account, but in the end, they just do not close PayPal accounts and now they have come up with this ridiculous idea that they can charge people with an "Inactivity Charge" when people no longer use their PayPal account.

Bottom line? You cannot close your PayPal account and now they claim they will charge this "Inactivity Fee" to everyone who no longer uses their PayPal account. They never make it clear how much they will charge you or how long your account must remain inactive before they start charging you.

I feel like I'm in some kind of Kafka novel where characters are presented with impossible choices and the bottom line is that you have to do what the company wants you to do.  There are simply no other alternatives.

I am just out of answers.

I hate PayPal.

Login to Me Too

AliShibaz
Contributor
Contributor

I want to make it clear that when my PayPal account was hacked and some criminal  began taking money directly from my bank account, the bank was hugely helpful to me but PayPal was not helpful at all.

When I went to my bank and showed them all my records of what happened, they immediately reversed all the transactions and advised me to close my bank account and get a new account and never again give my account number to anyone.

Thanks to my bank, I was not out any money and I am so grateful to my bank. But PayPal was no help at all. They just kept telling me to do things that essentially just had me going around in circles. PayPal was a complete waste of time when my account was hacked.  My bank was a great help.

I can do everything I need to do with my bank credit cards and the credit card companies have a great deal of experience with all kinds of frauds and they are very helpful when customers get cheated.  As far as I can see, there is never any reason for anyone to use PayPal unless they cannot get a bank account for some reason.

Login to Me Too

AliShibaz
Contributor
Contributor

When my PayPal account was hacked two years ago, I decided to never use PayPal again. I had to close my bank account to stop the criminals from accessing my bank account.

I never want anything more to do with PayPal.  I don't trust them and I would never give them my new bank account number.

I understand the founder of PayPal (Elon Musk) sold this company to someone and I wonder if the professional conduct of PayPal has suffered as a result.

I thought that by never using PayPal again and closing my bank account, I would be free from further problems with PayPal. But now - two years later - they are sending me these absurd emails threatening to charge me for inactivity. I have no confidence in PayPal any longer. I cannot say what I would like to say about them because obscenity is not permitted on this forum.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@2CloseMyAccount 

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AliShibaz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Kernowlass. I appreciate your advice and I will try to follow it later today.

At this time, my thinking is kind of frazzled. I have never been treated so badly by any large corporation as I've been treated by PayPal and it truly has me at my wits end.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.