Charity in Uganda

evanbirkhead
Contributor
Contributor

I am setting up a Paypal account for a charity that is based in Uganda. The application allows for Uganda phone numbers, but not for a Uganda mailing address or non-profit license number. Can you please advise my best course of action?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@evanbirkhead 

The option to receive Paypal payments is sadly not available in Uganda.
You can only send payments for purchases funded by your (confirmed) credit card.

Paypal varies a lot country to country and can only offer the services that the banks / governments of that country allow it to offer.
There are quite a few countries unable to receive Paypal payments.

https://www.paypal.com/ga/webapps/mpp/ua/residence-full

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@evanbirkhead 

The option to receive Paypal payments is sadly not available in Uganda.
You can only send payments for purchases funded by your (confirmed) credit card.

Paypal varies a lot country to country and can only offer the services that the banks / governments of that country allow it to offer.
There are quite a few countries unable to receive Paypal payments.

https://www.paypal.com/ga/webapps/mpp/ua/residence-full

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

evanbirkhead
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you - very helpful! A follow-up question:

The orphanage is licensed as a not-for-profit in Uganda. Is there a way to get PayPal to accept this as the license number rather than an American EIN number?

Thanks again and kudos!

Evan

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Marissa

Hi @evanbirkhead,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the PayPal Community. As @kernowlass mentioned, our services in Uganda are only available to send payments at this time. A non profit license will not be accepted to open an account on any other country PayPal services. I am sorry. You will need to find a different payment processor to receive donations. Rest assure, we are constantly looking for ways to expand our product and service availability globally and appreciate your interest!

-Marissa

Login to Me Too

evanbirkhead
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Marissa.

Yesterday I set up a brand new account that is a personal account that is completely US-based.  It's a shame because we'll have to pay an extra fee to transfer from my account to the orphanage's account.

If ever there's a way to qualify for the not-for-profit discount or to move the account information to Uganda, please let me know!

Much appreciated!

Evan 

Login to Me Too

evanbirkhead
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

So thanks to your help I got the account set up as a Personal account using my US-based business... two people donated and we already have $170 in the account!  

And then over the weekend, I get this message from PayPal:  You can no longer do business with PayPal (Ref ID - PP-L-314835478649)." Further they said they are holding the funds for 180 days... WHAT? How can they do THAT?

I followed all the rules...they have my driver's license and credit card number...  In the notes I even included the license number and website url of the charity in Uganda so it was clear where the money is going. (It's ZeeFoundation.Africa)

What did I do wrong... and how can I get a PayPal person on the phone to discuss this... it feels like an algorithm made this decision?

Thanks everyone!

Evan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.