Can’t access account

Tjg2021
Contributor
Contributor

I had an account years ago when I lived in the US. I want to close this account as I no longer use it. The phone number associated with the account is no longer valid but I am given no other option to verify my identity. I was given a support helpline to call and it just told me to do what I have already tried.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Gane26
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Tjg2021 

If you are unable to login to your PayPal account then contacting our phone line is the best way to fix this problem. For contact information, go to PayPal.com and click on 'Help & Contact.' 

Thanks

Gane26

Login to Me Too

Tjg2021
Contributor
Contributor
As I say, I called the support number and was told by a machine to perform the steps I had already tried. No other solution was offered.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tjg2021 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tjg2021
Contributor
Contributor
I clicked that link and called the number and was transferred to an automated service that told me to do what I had already tried without success. No other options were given and I wasn’t given the option to speak with a human. I don’t know what words I need to use to get this across because this is the third time I have described the same problem.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tjg2021 

Well thats the whole point you may not be able to resolve it.

You should really have closed the account and removed any financial information and withdrawn any funds before you moved.

If you can't get through to U.S customer services which are the only ones that can help you with a U.S paypal account then you may well not be able to sort things out.

We can only advise how and what you can try, only Paypal customer services may be able to help but that is not guaranteed as you have already moved countries. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.