About blocking accounts in Russia

Alex_Kush
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

PayPal announced the blocking of accounts in Russia. Who exactly will be blocked - those who have an address in Russia or everyone who has Russian citizenship, regardless of their place of residence?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alex_Kush 

Anyone with a Russian registered paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Alex_Kush
Contributor
Contributor

Should persons registered in Russia receive notifications in their private accounts about the imminent blocking??

Login to Me Too

hanish-bg
Contributor
Contributor

Can you, please explain what do you mean by "Russian registed paypal account"? I have registered primary address in Bulgaria with connected Bulgarian bank account, but currently I live in Russia. Does this affects me?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hanish-bg 

If you have a Bulgarian paypal account but live in Russia then you should not be using it.

Paypal is country specific so another countries paypal account may well not work in another country, especially Russia after the ban.

https://www.americanbanker.com/payments/list/these-payment-companies-are-cutting-off-russia

PayPal has suspended the ability to send or receive funds with Russian accounts, and has stopped signing up new accounts in Russia. PayPal's Russia ban extends to Xoom, a remittance company that PayPal acquired in 2015. Xoom provided direct deposits to Russian bank-issued Visa and Mastercard debit cards, executing payments by entering the recipient's card numbers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hanish-bg
Contributor
Contributor

My Bulgarian paypal was working fine in Russia. I opened it in Russia, but set Bulgarian Nationality and my address in Bulgaria in the personal details. Also connected it to my Bulgarian bank account. All was working fine in Russia. I could send and request money, withdraw to my bank account...

So, as I understand you right, I can't use it now form Russia in the current situation? What will happen if I don't withdraw the funds untill 18th of March? Do I loose the money permanently (my account is going to be deleted?) or they remain frozen for a certain amount of time?

Login to Me Too

hanish-bg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answers!

What will happen if I don't withdraw the funds untill 18th of March? Do I loose the money permanently (my account is going to be deleted?) or they remain frozen for a certain amount of time?

Login to Me Too

hanish-bg
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, please if any of the support center can give more detailed explanation of this. What is this based on? On citizenship, current residing, bank account residence or anything else. I'm Bulgarian and currently reside in Russia, but my paypal account is connected to my Bulgarian bank account. Does this affects my account as well then?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hanish-bg 

https://www.paypal.com/bg/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-paypal-address-to-another-country-faq143...

You may be able to use another countries paypal account when you move for a while but it would soon start to fail as paypal is country specific.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.