Why can't I pay with my debit card?

Kelpie
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a new user who's only recently joined paypal. My bank account is verified and my debit card is set up on the site and was working fine until just today. When making a purchase on a website today, the only payment options were e-cheque or instant bank transfer. My debit card was working fine yesterday and always turned up as the first payment option, but now it is no longer available as a payment option for some reason?. Why can't I pay using my debit card? It worked for my first five purchases with the site (two last night and three this morning), but on my sixth purchase it stopped showing my debit card as a payment option for some reason, even though it was working perfectly fine yesterday and this morning.

Is there any way to fix this problem so I can use my debit card as my payment option? I really don't want to have to pay by e-cheque if at all possible since it takes so long. the only reason I signed up my bank account was so I could use my card, since it's so easy to pay using it.

Thankyou in advance for any help!

Login to Me Too
129 REPLIES 129

New Community Member

i have recently changed my email address therefore cannot use my pay pal account what do i do?

Login to Me Too

julieoverall
Contributor
Contributor

I am now receiving a note when I try to pay for my won items saying I have spent XXXX amounts + so need to verify my debit card! I did this  + it now says I have to wait two days before using my debit card? I don't want to let people down who have sold me goods in good faith so what can I do?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi everyone,

I will answer everyones query in the order that they have been received.

Zetland14, It sounds that your recent payment attempt has been refused by your bank. If you have checked that all your information on PayPal is correct for your card, you should try and contact your bank directly in order for them to investigate it further for you.

Dondonkey, in order for a customer to verify their account and have their sending limits lifted, they need to confirm a bank account on their PayPal account. You would have had to initiate and complete this process yourself and when you were making the payment that has failed, you would have been advised that your bank account was going to be used for that payment.

A bank funded payment takes in total between 5 and 7 working days to complete processing between your bank account and the PayPal system. This would not have been debited from your account until 2-3 days after you sent the original payment.

1950, If you have changed your email address and you don't have access to the one that is registered on PayPal, you should still be able to log in to your PayPal account using your old email address. If you are unable to log in to the account, you can click the 'Forgot Password' link in order to reset your password. If you are advised that an email was sent to your old email address, you should then see a link that says 'Click here if you don't have access to this email address'.

Julieoverall, if you are being advised that you are unable to make a payment until your card is confirmed, you will need to wait for the random charge to appear on your card transactions. This takes on average between 2 and 3 working days and when you can see the £1.00 GBP charge, you can enter the four digit code on the same line of the charge on your PayPal account to confirm your card.

You should contact your sellers in the mean time to let them know that you are being asked to confirm your card before you can send any payments from your account.

Im-puzzled, you should ensure that you are entering your information correctly on the PayPal website. When you are selecting or typing the billing address associated with the card, please ensure that all of the information is exactly as it is on your statement. If there is even a minor discrepency on the billing address, it may be refused by your bank. If you are still unable to register your card, you should then try and contact your bank.

I hope this has answered all of your queries. Please let me know if there is anything else you need Smiley Happy.

David.

Login to Me Too

InventorUK
New Community Member

Why can't I use my DEBIT card to make refunds and top-up my paypal account?

I have checked all the issues that you have mentioned...

The card is valid and confirmed, there are PLENTY of funds. I have been an Ebay and paypal user for over ten years now and I've never had a problem like this before.

I have a customer who is perfectly right in asking a refund, who has paid via PAYPAL and now that there are insufficiant funds, the balance should be coming off my debit card.

In my opinion something has changed on Paypal, and I can see from the discussion forum that it's effect a huge number of ordinary users, like me.

What is going on!!

Login to Me Too

gwoosey32
New Community Member

@Kelpie wrote:

I'm a new user who's only recently joined paypal. My bank account is verified and my debit card is set up on the site and was working fine until just today. When making a purchase on a website today, the only payment options were e-cheque or instant bank transfer. My debit card was working fine yesterday and always turned up as the first payment option, but now it is no longer available as a payment option for some reason?. Why can't I pay using my debit card? It worked for my first five purchases with the site (two last night and three this morning), but on my sixth purchase it stopped showing my debit card as a payment option for some reason, even though it was working perfectly fine yesterday and this morning.

Is there any way to fix this problem so I can use my debit card as my payment option? I really don't want to have to pay by e-cheque if at all possible since it takes so long. the only reason I signed up my bank account was so I could use my card, since it's so easy to pay using it.

Thankyou in advance for any help!

Login to Me Too

johnmembrane
Contributor
Contributor

I have a confirmed Payasyougo debit card issued by PayPal, I have sufficient funds on the card but it is being declined as my preferred card, can anyone please advise?

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ring your card provider and ask if there is any blocks on the account for security reasons.

Login to Me Too

Goboing
Contributor
Contributor

I am on a mission to help people with this issue.  Here is what I recently posted about this – see if it might be your problem.  “Tonight was the second time this same thing happened to me and I practically killed myself trying to remember how I solved it last time.  What I had to do last time is call paypal and talk to a couple of useless people that gave me misinformation before I finally got ahold of someome who knew what they were talking about.  The reason your card didn't go through is that it is a credit card and although paypal says enter a credit/debit card number, it really tries to run the transaction as a debit card.  To solve this, there is a very small link in the payment confirmation page that says something about "funding sources."  Find that (I think the link is in blue), click on it and scroll to the very bottom of all the inane information they have there.  At the very bottom, they have 2 buttons where you can choose to either make the transaction as a debit or a credit card.  Choose credit card and then OK or whatever.  Continue with the transaction and it should work fine.  WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT SO HARD???”  Good luck!  Please reply to let me know if this worked for you.

Login to Me Too

johnmembrane
Contributor
Contributor

Got it sorted eventually, no real assistance from either PayPal or the Topup card offshoot, I deleted my card and re-entered all my details again, the card is now functioning normally. This was on my eBay account by the way.

Login to Me Too

johnmembrane
Contributor
Contributor

Please see my previous post, I was too presumptious, my prepay PayPal card is still not being accepted as my primary card, what on earth is going on?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.