Sent paypal my ID, but I had made account when under 18 and they limited my account.

DanielS4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I got this email from paypal today after sending them my ID/bank statement -

We've reviewed the documents you submitted and determined that you were under 18 years old when you opened your PayPal account. You must be at least 18 years old to sign up for a PayPal account. From now on, you can't send or receive money with this account.

If you've outstanding buyer complaints and you want to refund your customers, you can do so via the Resolution Centre in your PayPal account.

To continue using our service, please open a new PayPal account. You'll need to use a different email address.

If you have a PayPal balance, you can withdraw it to your bank account. If you want to use these bank details in your new PayPal account, please remove it beforehand.

We also noticed that the name registered on your PayPal account didn't match the name shown on your ID so we've updated the name on your account to match your ID. You'll see this change the next time you log in.

If the updated name on your PayPal account matches the name on your bank account(s) and/or card(s), you don't need to do anything. However, if they don't match, you may not be able to transfer money between your PayPal account and your bank account(s) and/or card(s), so we recommend removing them and re-adding them with the correct name.

You can remove and re-add your financial details in your Wallet.

Should I just follow what they say and make a new account? I am 19 at the moment, do I need to close my current account before I do this? Not sure what steps to take so I'll wait for someone who knows what they are doing to give advice, thanks. I heard as the current account has my details if I made a new account it would just get removed, is that true? Would appreciate any help in this.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_paula

Hi DanielS4, 

If you opened your account when you were under the age of 18 then it would mean that our User Agreement would have been signed incorrectly. For this reason, we would need to close your PayPal account. This is done from our side so you do not need to do anything with regards to closing it. If you have been advised that you can open a new account then you can go ahead and do so. You will just need a different email address to set it up as you would be unable to use the email address registered to your existing account. If you have financial information on your existing account then you can request via email to have it removed. Once removed you will be able to add it to your new account. 

If you have any further questions please feel free to post. 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

DanielS4
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I have made a new paypal account that I am using now with the same details as my old one but different email. The financial info was removed by me on the old one to be used on the new account. I tried closing my old paypal but it doesn't work, does it close automatically or do I have to reach out to paypal for it to be closed?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Daniel,

So glad to hear that you have managed to open a new account. We will begin to close the account from our side. The limitation will remain on it for some time and we will then begin the closure. Nothing else for you to do on your old account. 

Thanks for the update and I hope this has answered your questions. 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

DanielS4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paula, I just got another problem with the old account. Something I had bought awhile ago had got refunded, but the store couldn't refund do my new paypal but instead to my old one as that was what I had paid with. They sent the money today but the problem is I can't withdraw from my old paypal due to not having linked my bank account anymore (I removed it) and not being able to add a new bank account link as it doesn't let me. How can I withdraw the money they just sent to my old paypal account (as its limited still), is there a way I can just send the money to my new one?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi DanielS4,

Thank you for your post.

As your question is very account specific, I would advise you to contact our customer care department who can help you further. You can do this by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You can also contact us via our Facebook Page or Twitter @askPayPal.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Temp20210328a
Contributor
Contributor

I had a problem like him, how long do I have to wait for my paypal account to be closed.I want to create paypal account with old email address, now i am over 18 years old

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.