Security Measures

razzlewis
New Community Member

I've had my wallet stolen, and now when I try and log into my Paypal I'm being confronted with this message:

==

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures. Your account has been randomly selected for this maintenance, and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification pages.

Protecting the security of your PayPal account is our primary concern, and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

==

Which then follows up by asking for my full credit card number, which I don't have.  There are also no other options on the drop down.

I've had to create this account purely to ask this question as I am unable to access anything on my other (email: razzlewis [AT] hotmail.com).

Is there any way in which this can be resolved without card numbers?  Security questions, any (or all) previous addresses, bank account numbers, etc?

Awaiting (what I hope to be) a swift response,

Ryan

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_Wayne

Hello razzlewis,

The only way to get beyond the screen in which you are stuck is to enter the full card number. This request can't be turned off I'm afraid. Is it possible to get an old credit card statement with the details on it? Or can your card company help with the provision of this number?

I know this is not the answer you were looking for but we are not able to turn off this request. If we could the whole PayPal system would be less secure.

Wayne

Login to Me Too

lamaha

I have exactly this problem and it is really a nuisance. The creidt card I once used has long expired and has been disposed of. As this problem is certain to crop up again and again why not use a different process, such as bank account number or security question?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi lamaha,

When you are going to the security validation you are given the option of your credit/debit card or your bank account. If you no longer have the registered card then I would suggest that you choose the option of your bank account as this number never changes.

I would also advise that when you have logged in to your account that you remove your old card to avoid any issues in the future.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

AROXS
New Community Member

I am unable to verify my account as I can't remember the answers to the security questions. Is it possible for the answers to be sent to me?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi AROXS,

At PayPal we never store a copy of your security answers on your PayPal account. This means that we can not provide you with a copy of your answers.

I would suggest that you contact us directly so we can assist you in gaining access to your account. You can contact us via the contact us link at the bottom of every PayPal page.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

tedsc
Contributor
Contributor

I just went through this and thought it was a DNS spoof or local web cache infection.  I only filled it out after verifying the same result from 3 seperate computers in 3 unique environments to insure the address was legit and not local cache replaced by a spoof page fishing for my information.

Their has to be a better way to update user security profiles.

Login to Me Too

CramRium
New Community Member

This is deeply frustrating. A seller at eBay is waiting for me to pay; I don't want to complete this until I know it is legit; the email query I sent to PayPal is probably not going to be acknowledged because I wasn't able to log-in and ny email address won't be supplied.

I have now taken it on trust and entered the card details but am also required to change my password (and remember, it has to be ultra secure, and unique, and impossible to remember, so I have to write it down or store it in my system memory), and supply answers tto security questions.

If this is legit I haven't given much away, but if it isn't.

This has probably come about because of my recent deployment of Tor, and these days their are two forms of security to take into account, and that are mutually antagonistic. Security should not equal complaceny. If PayPal (and anyone else) really cares about it they should stop deploying the very tactics fraudsters would use.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.