Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

mohammedc
Contributor
Contributor
Conor, would like to ask you a question, i have sent my proof of id and billing address through the resolution centre on my paypal account this afternoon. How soon will paypal respond back to me saying yes this is fine and take the restrictions off my account, i need this done latest tomorrow which is going to be Monday the 13th of July. There should be no reason why paypal would delay another day providing that they operate 24/7? If your wondering why they asked its because i have never used paypal. I look forward to your response. Regards. Mo.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi mohammedc,

Welcome to the PayPal community forum. New members are always welcome.

When we receive documents on an account regarding a limitation is will generally take 24-72 hours to be reviewed. Once they have been reviewed you will receive an email with an update to your registered email address.

Thanks for posting

Paula

Login to Me Too

Ferkeko

Hello 

i have been requested for photo ID and proof of address , i sent all needed documents 

and cases close and complete in resolution center but my account still restricted any help ?

Login to Me Too

AKAKAK1
New Community Member

Hello, 

I am afraid you are completely wrong!!!

People waiting longer, even me myself - I provided everything straight away and still no respond , I cant sell anything 

Nonsense what you are saying !!!

Login to Me Too

mutembei
New Community Member

Hi Paula,

I'm a Paypal user from Kenya. I reached my limits this week, and I've been able to complete the Proof of Identity part of the verification using a copy of my National ID.

The Proof of Address part is proving to be a hustle and I'm not even sure it can be done.

Paypal requires me to provide an official document that shows my residence, but unfortunately things don't work like that in Kenya.

We don't have residential addresses --- like street numbers and things like that.

Further, there is really no official document that details where one lives. Not even a bank statement. At best, there is a postal address, because that is the system we use here.

To complicate things further, I rent an apartment. I have sent digital scans of my rent+water bill (which also says I live at house no. XXX on building X) but I have been told it's not adequate Proof of Residence.

I'm really at a loss as I really want to keep using Paypal. This restriction practically means I can't, and the way I see it you guys are about to lose all your Kenyan clientelle unless a workaround is found.

Frutrated,

-Mutembei

Login to Me Too

suszannah
New Community Member
Hi wondering if anyone can help ..had limitations put on my account rang PayPal (I guess it was the genuine PayPal) who said I need to upload my passport as I don't have a photo driving licence....why? they don't know what I look like so what's the point? It smell like a scam to me????
Login to Me Too

Talan2
Contributor
Contributor
It is a scam
Login to Me Too

GittiBee
New Community Member

No limit reached (bought used clothes and knick knacks on Ebay for little money over 10 years. Never an issue till these last few months.

Since Americans have the same problem, I guess it's not just foreign accounts.

What is happening?

My problem is Ebay and other orders that I'm then unable to pay for, bad manners.

No return answer from PayPAl other than generalities that I can find blogging......

PayPal, please help us understand why you all of the sudden are making customers lives difficult and have no answer for this to be found on your website, thoug it seems a lot of us have the same problem?

Thanks. G

Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal are applying US regulation to other customers - especially us in the UK. The generic email I got sent when I had this issue originally asked for my social security number and other US based documentation.

PayPal are very poor at responding to customers and generally unpleasant company to attempt to communicate with. I have on 3 occasions made a 'Subject Access' request all of which have been ignored which is against the law.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi RED666S,

Thank you for posting.

We’re sorry to hear this. It sounds like you’ve had a bad experience.

It’s very unusual that you were asked to provide a SSN number on an UK account. Has your account been created in UK?

Regrettably we can’t see your account details here. I would recommend you calling PayPal Customer Services by clicking onto Contact us on any PayPal page as they will be able to review your account and provide you with the best course of action.

We also provide support via Social Media (24/7). You can contact us directly on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK.

Hope this will be resolved for you soon.

Anna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.