Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

Talan2
Contributor
Contributor
This is absolute BS. Banks, Credit Card companies, Pension funds deal in much larger sums and don't need this info
Login to Me Too

ninjabear
New Community Member

Hi, 

I have the same problem.  I can't provide proof of address because my roommate has the bills in his name, my drivers license has my previous address on it.  I am not updating my drivers license every 6 months to a year because I keep moving to different houses.  My account status has been verified by my bank account and a credit card, but apparently this isn't enough.  The fact that paypal requires all this information to send/receive money is a joke.  If this can't be resolved I'd say start using Square and Square Wallet.  I have recently started using them and it is headache free.  They make deposits into your account on the next business day.  No waiting 5 days like paypal.

Login to Me Too

testshoot
New Community Member

I find this activity extremely suspicious and untrustworthy. This sounds like a huge set up to deliver identity theft with a nice little bow on it. I spend ~500 a year on my account and received less than that on my best year so I cannot imagine how I have triggered some form of security measure. I am beginning to think that I will need to terminate my account and deal with less invasive measures of simple transactions.

Login to Me Too

Bonniecei79
New Community Member
The same thing happened to me tonight -I use paypal for online shopping. Sending in a photo ID and proof of my address seems a bit too much. I am not comfortable with it. Guess I will use other means to pay online.
Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I sent them scans of my passport and driving license, however I blocked out the numbers on them. 

As they are note allowed to speak to the DVLA or passport office about you they do not need that information. 

I also made a formal 'subject access request' at the same time (which PayPal ignored) and all of a sudden my account was cleared.

Login to Me Too

jadeadcock
Contributor
Contributor

best thing is i sent over proofs over 3 weeks ago and they still have not even lifted the limits on my account all i get is its being review everytime i call

Login to Me Too

belllatrix
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this is now happening to me too. I don't ever recieve money into my account. I use it only for when Paypal is needed for an online transaction.I just happen to click upgrade next to the Personal account button just to see the other options and they now are asking me for an ID and a bill.  My ID is up to date with my address, and that should be enough, but no bills are in my name. So i guess I'm a bad person, a criminal of some kind and can't continue with the services. Even though my account has been verified and i've been using it fine since 2006. I didn't even want to upgrade my account for sobbing out loud, i just wanted to see what other accounts they had. 

Login to Me Too

Mikeforspokes
Contributor
Contributor

Seems from the above comments, the requests have gone to those who add funds to their accounts, then buy items.

Is this something to do with Money Laundering legislation, in the same way you need to provide ID to estate agents before being given house details??

Why the lack of courtesy in failing to explain to customers?  It's a recipe for antagonising customers, there are other online payment systems, after all.

Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I never added funds and then purchased an item at a later date. I only use PayPal to pay for goods there and then.

Login to Me Too

hfaldet3
New Community Member

I too was just asked for a copy of my SSN!?

I was told there would be a restriction placed onto my account unless i faxed over a copy of my SSN, and that the document could not be older than 6 months. Whaaat?! Of course my SS card is older than 6 months, ive had it since i was born! haha

I just dont feel it necessary or safe to be sending this kind of info? Why do they need this? Ive been a member of paypal for over a decade, i caused nothing that would raise a red flag etc..anyone else have paypal ask for there SSN Card?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.