PayPal wanting photo and other ID

radiogoogoo
After 15 years using PayPal I’m seriously considering cancelling my account. I can’t believe they are being so brazen In asking for the degree of personal information they are requesting and suspending my account until I supply it. It seems PayPal are more than a bit out of touch with their customers. I am a UK resident and this requirement is not applicable. Come on PayPal you need to “up your game” on this one. Please do it soon or its bye bye from me.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Jack_M
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal may limit your account as a security measure to protect your account and keep PayPal safe.

The process is similar to passing through a security checkpoint and being asked to show identification. When PayPal limit an account, they are often simply asking the account holder to supply information to verify their identity, financial information or the merchandise they're selling.

An account may be limited for a variety of reasons. When you log into your account, you will see a message explaining the reason behind the decision to limit your account.

Possible reasons could include:

• Possible unauthorised account access
  • Unresolved buyer disputes or credit card chargebacks
  • Violations of the User Agreement or Acceptable Use Policy
  • Someone associated with you has an unresolved issue with PayPal

To see what PayPal need you to do to restore your account:

1. Go to Summary.
  2. Click the Notifications icon at the top of the page.
  3. A 'Notifications' panel will appear on the right side of your screen.

Whilst your frustration is understandable, PayPal are required by law to have these requirements and mechanisms in place. For your reference, this falls under both Know Your Customer & Anti-Money Laundering regulations. As a UK customer, this process is applicable by law and PayPal reserve the right to request identification documentation upon request. The age of an account does not influence PayPal's legal obligations in this respect.

If document requirements are not fulfilled and verified, funds may be held either for 180 days from the date of limitation or until your identity is confirmed, whichever is decided. In addition to this, the limitation may remain on your account indefinitely.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.